Finding the work done using force vectors in 3 dimensions

In summary, the conversation involved finding the work done by a force of 3 Newtons in moving an object 2 meters. The displacement vector was found to be 2j and there was confusion about how to represent the direction and magnitude of the force as a vector. The initial answer given was incorrect due to a typo and the correct answer was determined to be 6 Joules.
marthkiki

Homework Statement

Find the work done by a force of 3 Newtons acting in the direction 2i + j + 2k in moving an object 2 meters from (0, 0, 0) to (0, 2, 0).

Homework Equations

Commonly known vector operations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the displacement vector to be 2j.
My problem is figuring out how to represent the direction and magnitude of force as an actual vector.
The answer is (6*SQRT 5)/5 Joules. I don't understand how.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure that is the right answer?

Amok said:
Are you sure that is the right answer?

Positive. This really doesn't make any sense to me.

marthkiki said:

Homework Statement

Find the work done by a force of 3 Newtons acting in the direction 2i + j + 2k in moving an object 2 meters from (0, 0, 0) to (0, 2, 0).

Homework Equations

Commonly known vector operations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the displacement vector to be 2j.
My problem is figuring out how to represent the direction and magnitude of force as an actual vector.
The answer is (6*SQRT 5)/5 Joules. I don't understand how.

I think that "answer" was gotten using sqrt(2+1+2) to normalize the vector instead of correctly using sqrt(22+12+22). Typo in your answer book.

s
LCKurtz said:
I think that "answer" was gotten using sqrt(2+1+2) to normalize the vector instead of correctly using sqrt(22+12+22). Typo in your answer book.

That may well be true. If so, is the correct answer 2?
The displacement vector is 2j.

(2i + j + 2k) dot product 2j = 0 + 2j + 0 = 2j. So the correct answer is 2 Joules, correct?

That's what I got.

Wait where does the magnitude of 3 N come into play? Shouldn't it be multiplied to 2j to get the total work? So you get

W = F*AB
AB = 2j
F = 3(2i + j + 2k) = 6i + 3j + 6k

F dot product AB = 0 + 6j + 0 = 6j. So the work should in fact be 6 Joules, correct?

No, you only have to take into account the magnitude of the force in the (0,1,0) direction, because that is that component that is going to be doing all the work! Remember that:

WORK = FORCE dot product DISPLACEMENT

marthkiki said:
Wait where does the magnitude of 3 N come into play? Shouldn't it be multiplied to 2j to get the total work? So you get

W = F*AB
AB = 2j
F = 3(2i + j + 2k) = 6i + 3j + 6k

F dot product AB = 0 + 6j + 0 = 6j. So the work should in fact be 6 Joules, correct?

No. A force of 3N is represented by a vector of length 3. Your vector specifying the direction of the force just happens to have length 3 already. That is just a lucky break for this problem. Normally what you would do is multiply a unit vector in the direction of the force by 3.

Related to Finding the work done using force vectors in 3 dimensions

What is the definition of work in physics?

The scientific definition of work is the product of force and displacement, where force is applied in the direction of the displacement. In simpler terms, work is the measure of the energy used to move an object.

How do you calculate work in 3 dimensions using force vectors?

To calculate work in 3 dimensions, you need to use vector components. First, find the angle between the force vector and the displacement vector. Then, use the formula W = F * d * cos(theta), where F is the magnitude of the force, d is the magnitude of the displacement, and theta is the angle between the two vectors.

What units are used to measure work?

The standard unit of measurement for work is joules (J). However, other units such as foot-pounds (ft-lb) and ergs (erg) are also used in different contexts.

How does work relate to energy in physics?

In physics, work is directly related to energy. Work is the measure of the energy used to move an object, and energy is the ability to do work. This means that work is a form of energy.

Can the work done on an object be negative?

Yes, the work done on an object can be negative. This occurs when the force and displacement are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative value for work. This indicates that the object gained energy rather than losing it.