Uncovering the Pretexts of War: Investigating Political Factors Behind Iraq Invasion

• News
  • Thread starter Adam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factors
In summary, the conversation discusses the lack of evidence for the USA's invasion of Iraq and the role of various political factors in instigating investigations. The conversation also touches on the emotional reactions and manipulation of the public by government officials, as well as the possible ulterior motives for the war. The conversation concludes with a discussion on the importance of evidence and the impact of international laws in democratic societies.

Do you believe there was any truth in the USA's/Britain's accusations against Iraq?

• Yes.

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • No.

Votes: 8 47.1%

• Total voters
not enough solid evidence to support the idea that the US went into Iraq to get rich off of oil.
What about Dick Cheney's old company, his old friends, being given the contract for the oil fields without even having to bid for it? Maybe it's not 100% proof, but it's a lot more than the USA had against Iraq.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Adam
What about Dick Cheney's old company, his old friends, being given the contract for the oil fields without even having to bid for it? Maybe it's not 100% proof, but it's a lot more than the USA had against Iraq.

Proof of what? Haliburton had already been used in Iraq to repair and update equipment. What other companies were capable of doing the work? I believe the choices were 1 Canadian company, 1 french company or the U.S. company..it's U.S. Tax money paying for repairs..which company do you think should be used? seems a no brainer to me...

Schwarz -
There's no solid evidence to the contrary.
Well let's look at the facts - Worldcom was fined hundreds of millions for their giant fraud, and was hand-selected as the contractor to get the phones in Baghdad up and running, with a milti-hundred-million dollar contract. The tax-PAYERS laundered the benefits of Worldcom's fraud. Iraq war is just the accomplice to big businesses which are running the show.
And Worldcom is the largest provider of telephone backbones in the country if not the world. They are the most capable of getting into Iraq and rebuilding the phone system dependably. THeir fraud is by the upper management and does not reflect the product or quality of service the company itself can provide. Their fine was their punishment and now they can continue on providing the services they have rendered for years.

Haliburton was also mentioned later as well. They had gone in and put out the fires from the first war. So they knew the setup and area. They are one of the few companies in the US that can handle oil rig fires.

And you bet that there are American companies getting in on the reconstruction of Iraq. It happens after any major conflict. Was WWII a war for companies so they could get in there and rebuild Germany and Japan? We did not rebuild those countries out of the goodness of our heart. Even after WWI Germany was repaying the Allies for the cost of the war...part of the problems that plagued Germany and instigated WWII. And Kuwait had worked out a deal to repay the coalition after Iraq invaded as well.

Just because there is profit to be had by companies after a conflict does not mean the war was initiated for the profits. And you have a long way to go to try and prove that it does.

Tog

Originally posted by Adam
Again, you seem to be making the assumption that the US will get the oil revenue. That is *NOT* what the Haliburton contract is for.

Once again: The oil belongs to Iraq and the US has made no move to sieze it.

LOL! Actually, when the recount was stopped, Gore was a mere 66 votes behind and gaining. There was no large margin, even with all the ways that Bush cheated.

In shadows defense, you haven't given any proof at all (as fake as your "proof" tends to be) that Bush did cheat, and the point still stands that gore WAS behind him and that Bush won, funny how you changed your answer from being that Gore did win to he was only 66 votes behind.

Oh, and I think we can trace Republican Party 'Lying on principle' to Whitewater...that was a beaut of a non-issue that still gets brought up today. They lie every single time that the truth is inconvenient.

Here's a fun and funny link about the Florida recount...but find a factual error in it and I'll send you $1.http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=10254 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL...just LOL.

LOL! and that's the best he can do folks

Here's a fun and funny link about the Florida recount...but find a factual error in it and I'll send you $1

I don't trust Democrats with my mailing address. And before I go to the link tell me it isn't a "GO DEMOCRAT" website

Originally posted by Nicool003
LOL! and that's the best he can do folks

I don't trust Democrats with my mailing address. And before I go to the link tell me it isn't a "GO DEMOCRAT" website

Well, since you would consider any non-right-wing-lies site to be 'Democrat', don't even bother. The truth would hurt, if you weren't so good at avoiding it.

Well, since you would consider any non-right-wing-lies site to be 'Democrat', don't even bother. The truth would hurt, if you weren't so good at avoiding it.

Please. you of all people saying this? Anything that isn't all left wing propaganda are "lies"

Stop bickering. Sadly, it seems that is what politics is reduced to these days. All people want is power. Well, at least that is how it is on here, I imagine in an actualy debate with republicans vs democrats it would be even worse. There really isn't a point in getting into arguments is there?

Originally posted by Shadow
Stop bickering. Sadly, it seems that is what politics is reduced to these days. All people want is power. Well, at least that is how it is on here, I imagine in an actualy debate with republicans vs democrats it would be even worse. There really isn't a point in getting into arguments is there?

Good point...I think we're done here...