Finding the Volume of Cones and Cylinders Using Known Values

• Thread starter Kirito123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volumes
In summary, the equation for the volume of the cone is pi(r2)2h / 3. The equation for the volume of the cylinder is pi(r)2h. The volume of the cylinder is greater than the volume of the cone because the cylinder has a larger radius.
Kirito123

Homework Statement

upload_2016-5-12_18-58-44.png

Homework Equations

volume of cone = pi(r)2h / 3
volume of cylinder = pi(r)2h

The Attempt at a Solution

How can I do this, all they give is the volume and we know the value of pi ( 3.14159). I tried but you can't do it without knowing at least the radius or the height.

Physics news on Phys.org
That is the exact wording there is nothing else to it, i might have not understood or it just doesn't make sense..

Kirito123 said:
That is the exact wording there is nothing else to it, i might have not understood or it just doesn't make sense..
By just looking at the equation you have written, What do you need to do the cylinder volume in order to get the cone volume ?

Kirito123 said:
you can't do it without knowing at least the radius or the height.
the height and radius is the same of both objects

yea they both have the same height and radius but i still can't find out the height or radius with just the volume.

Kirito123 said:
yea they both have the same height and radius but i still can't find out the height or radius with just the volume.
look again at the equations you have written, and only at them. what is the same and what is different, type it here.

volume of cone = pi(r)2h / 3
volume of cylinder = pi(r)2h

They both use pi and the radius is squared, only different is for a cone you have to divide by 3. I'm going to take a crack at it but it might be wrong.
So to find the radius we would do as shown below :

120 x 3 (we are reversing the original formula)

360/ 3.14 = 114.64

114.64 squared are equal to 10.707.

So the radius of both

Kirito123 said:
360/ 3.14 = 114.64
Why did you do that?

don't you multiply 3.14 by 360, the reverse of that would be division.

Kirito123 said:
don't you multiply 3.14 by 360, the reverse of that would be division.
no need to. we need to find the volume of the cylinder.

What happens if you multiply by 3 your first equation. don't use the 120 yet. just the first equation.

Sorry just so I am clear what are you referring to when you say "first equations". Do you mean the volume of the cone or
Kirito123 said:
120 x 3

Kirito123 said:
Sorry just so I am clear what are you referring to when you say "first equations". Do you mean the volume of the cone or
this is the first equation you have written pi(r2)2h / 3 = Volume of cone

Kirito123 said:
no numbers yet, just use the parameters, manually multiply it by 3 and type what you got

Ok just making sure so i don't mess up. If i multiply it by 3 it would become 3 Pi(h)r2??

Kirito123 said:
Ok just making sure so i don't mess up. If i multiply it by 3 it would become 3 Pi(h)r2??
wasn't there a /3 aswell? where did it go?

wait doesn't the multiplied 3 cancel out the other division one?

Kirito123 said:
Type it all down from the start, don't show only the result , and let's see

Kirito123 said:

wait that only works if it was a division 3 that cancels a division 3.

Kirito123 said:
wait that only works if it was a division 3 that cancels a division 3.

1/3 * 3 = ? any division by three can be written as x/3 = x* (1/3)

it would = 1

Kirito123 said:
it would = 1
So looks like it would cancel one another. don't forget we need to multiply both sides of the equation always when we want to multiply one side we must multiply the other aswell, so equation will hold.

3* pi(r2)h / 3 = 3* Volume of cone = ?

Last edited:
sorry for late reply, anyway 3 * the volume of the cone would be 360.

since 3 x 120 = 360 as i said before right?

Kirito123 said:
since 3 x 120 = 360 as i said before right?
You jump too fast to the numbers .

3* pi(r2)h / 3 = pi(r2)h = 3* Volume of cone
we multiplied by 3 so it cancels with /3, and the volume got multiplied by 3.

but what is pi(r2)h ? remember that r and h are the same

Dank2 said:
pi(r2)2h

Why did you put r2 and then 2h? and now i get what your saying, i have to find a radius and height that would be equal to 3 * volume of the cone?

Kirito123 said:
Why did you put r2 and then 2h? and now i get what your saying, i have to find a radius and height that would be equal to 3 * volume of the cone?

that was a mistake, fixed it.

3* pi(r2)h / 3 = pi(r2)h = 3* Volume of cone

take a look at your second equation that you have written at the first message. pi(r2)h is equal to what?

Kirito123 said:
Volume of the cylinder is equal to what?

its equal to 360 right. I'm saying this since if you where to multiply 3 x 120 you would get 360 and that 360 would represent pi(r2) h.

Kirito123 said:
it's written in the second equation, just need to copy paste really.

then plug it
Kirito123 said:
its equal to 360 right. I'm saying this since if you where to multiply 3 x 120 you would get 360 and that 360 would represent pi(r2) h.
Summary:

Multiply first equation by 3 you get : 3* pi(r2)h / 3 = 3* Volume of cone. simplfy left side you get pi(r2)h = 3*Volume of cone.

but hey pi(r2)h is equal to volume of the cylinder from equation 2, so we plug it above, and get volume of the cylinder = 3*Volume of cone.

Now you do know the volume of the cone. and so we got the answer just by multiplying by 3.

Note that all of this holds because radius and height was the same.

upload_2016-5-12_20-48-23.png

Pi(h)r2 ??

I was just reading over a lesson and i found this "Similar to the relationship between the prism and the pyramid, the volume of three cones fits into a cylinder with the same radius and height.", If I am correct that's stating that 360 is the volume of the cylinder and 120 is the volume of the cone. I think that might be right ;3

In short 360 = volume of cylinder and 120 = volume of cones.

Write all equations and information to one equation system and think, if you can mathematically solve this for Vsilinder.

Related to Finding the Volume of Cones and Cylinders Using Known Values

What is the formula for finding the volume of a cone?

The formula for finding the volume of a cone is V = (1/3)πr²h, where V is the volume, π is pi (approximately 3.14), r is the radius of the base, and h is the height of the cone.

What is the formula for finding the volume of a cylinder?

The formula for finding the volume of a cylinder is V = πr²h, where V is the volume, π is pi (approximately 3.14), r is the radius of the base, and h is the height of the cylinder.

How do you find the volume of a cone or cylinder with known values?

To find the volume of a cone or cylinder with known values, plug in the given values into the respective formula and solve for V.

What units are used for the volume of cones and cylinders?

The units used for the volume of cones and cylinders are cubic units, such as cubic meters (m³) or cubic centimeters (cm³).

Can the volume of a cone or cylinder be negative?

No, the volume of a cone or cylinder cannot be negative. It represents the amount of space occupied by the object and is always a positive value.