Looking forward to the nanotechnological revolution

• Thread starter Jack
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Revolution
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of nanotechnology and the potential benefits and concerns surrounding it. While some are excited for the nanotechnological revolution, others acknowledge the need for strong controls over such a powerful technology. One concern raised is the difficulty in manipulating atoms due to their small size and the lack of tools capable of doing so.

What do you think about nanotechnology?

• I think it will be devastating and should be stopped

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • It will be a great advancement for the human race and should be encouraged

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • I couldn't care less

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jack
With the news that Prince Charles is campaining against it this week I want to hear your views (although since most of you are scientists I think you'll be for it). Just for the record I am looking forward to the nanotechnological revolution.

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Both. Development must be continued for the good of the human race, but strong controls MUST be enforced over such a powerful technology. We are still far from that point, but the potential threat is large.

nano

Nanotechnology sounds cool let's do nanotechnologyWicked [lamb]

nano

How do/will scientists be able to minipulate the atoms, as we are unable to see them, as they are smaller than the frequency of light. Even if we could, we cannot push them, as we don't have anything small enough to do so. Any help? Thanks.

:frown: [b(] :smile: [?] [zz)] :wink:

1. What is nanotechnology?

Nanotechnology is the study and manipulation of matter on an extremely small scale, typically at the nanometer level. This involves working with materials and devices that are between 1 and 100 nanometers in size.

2. How will nanotechnology impact our daily lives?

Nanotechnology has the potential to impact many aspects of our daily lives, from medicine and healthcare to electronics and energy production. It could lead to the development of new and improved materials, devices, and technologies that could greatly enhance our quality of life.

3. What are the potential risks of nanotechnology?

As with any new technology, there are potential risks associated with nanotechnology. These include environmental impacts, health and safety concerns, and ethical considerations. However, extensive research and regulations are in place to minimize these risks and ensure the safe and responsible development of nanotechnology.

4. How far along are we in the nanotechnological revolution?

The nanotechnological revolution is still in its early stages, but great progress has been made in the past few decades. Many nanotechnology-based products and applications are already in use, and ongoing research and development continue to advance the field and its potential impact.

5. What are the current limitations of nanotechnology?

One of the main limitations of nanotechnology is the difficulty in controlling and manipulating matter at such a small scale. This requires specialized equipment and techniques, and there is still much to be learned about how materials behave at the nanoscale. Additionally, there are challenges in scaling up nanotechnology for mass production and ensuring its cost-effectiveness.