Finding the Volume of a Rotation About the x and y Axis

In summary, the individual is seeking help with finding the volume formed by the complete rotation around the y-axis of a region bounded by a curve, the y-axis, and a given line. They have already solved the first part of the question but need assistance with the second part. They also have a question about what to do if the rotation is not a full 360 degrees. Another user suggests swapping x and y in the relation and rotating about the y-axis for the second part, and also mentions that a rotation halfway will give half the volume. However, the individual is still struggling and is advised to state their problem more clearly in the title of their post.
Habosh
hi
this is my first post,and I hope i get the help I need;)
equation of curve 2y^2=x^3 find the volume of the solid formed by the complete rotation about the y-axis of the region bounded by the curve the y azis and the line with the equation y=2 which lies in the first quadrant,*done this*
npw i need help in second part of the question
find also the volume formed when the region is rotated completely about the x axis
I also have a question would anyone help me and explain what shall we do if the rotation was not 360 about the x axis,but was 180
thanx in advance:D

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Rotating about the x-axis is mathematically equivalent to swapping x and y in the relation given then rotating about the y-axis so that whatever method you used in the first problem should work for the second problem.

Also, rotating halfway will give you half the volume of a full rotation.

well that is what driving me crazy,because in the second one I tried to make the equation with the y as a subject then squared it and substituted with 2 but it didn't work the answer was wrong:(

suggestion: curiosity is more powerful an attraction than academic pity. try stating the problem next time in the title. your current title has been used a lot before, and to me personally is often reason enough to ignore the post.

hehe:Dok then i will next time i'll post a thread with the title I have a phsycic powers is a math fourm:p that will surely attract some attention

Related to Finding the Volume of a Rotation About the x and y Axis

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of a rotation about the x-axis?

The formula for finding the volume of a rotation about the x-axis is V = π∫ab (f(x))^2 dx, where a and b are the limits of integration and f(x) is the function defining the shape being rotated.

2. How do you find the volume of a solid rotated about the y-axis?

The formula for finding the volume of a rotation about the y-axis is V = π∫cd (g(y))^2 dy, where c and d are the limits of integration and g(y) is the function defining the shape being rotated.

3. Can the volume of a rotation about the x-axis be negative?

No, the volume of a rotation about the x-axis cannot be negative. The volume is always a positive value, representing the amount of space occupied by the solid shape.

4. What is the difference between a rotation about the x-axis and a rotation about the y-axis?

A rotation about the x-axis results in a solid shape that is taller, while a rotation about the y-axis results in a solid shape that is wider. The limits of integration and the function being squared in the volume formula are also different for each axis.

5. Can the shape being rotated be any function or does it have to be a specific shape?

The shape being rotated can be any function as long as it is continuous and non-negative within the given limits of integration. This includes curves, lines, and even more complex shapes.