Finding the velocity of a skier

• Thread starter amazingphysics2255
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary: Please show your diagram for part 1.In summary, the skier has a resultant velocity of 10.6m/s in the Northerly direction and 22.7m/s in the Easterly direction.
amazingphysics2255
Homework Statement
N/a
Relevant Equations
N/a
Problem Statement: 1.I'm asked to find the northerly and easterly velocity of kite skier. the skier is moving 25 ms^1 in the N 25degrre E direction.

2. Wind from the west makes the skier accelerate to the east at 2.0ms^1 for 1.8s CAlculate the new velocity.

3. Use the answer from (1) to calculate the size and direction of the new resultant velocity of the skier.
Relevant Equations: I used Sin and Cos for number 1

For number 1 I used the Sin and Cos of 25degrees to find the Northerly and easterly velocities. MY results are 10.6m s^1 Northerly and 22.7m s^-1 Easterly. SIn 25degrees= Vn/25 Vn= 25 Sin 25degrees = 10.6m s^1 N Cos 25degrees = Ve/25 25 Cos 25degrees=22.7m s^-1 E

For number 2 all I know is that we are given the acceleration and time.

Maybe it's not working because I've incorrectly solved for 1?

MENTOR NOTE: Content restored, thread locked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please show your diagram for part 1.

amazingphysics2255 said:
Problem Statement: 1.I'm asked to find the northerly and easterly velocity of kite skier. the skier is moving 25 ms^1 in the N 25degrre E direction.

2. Wind from the west makes the skier accelerate to the east at 2.0ms^1 for 1.8s CAlculate the new velocity.

3. Use the answer from (1) to calculate the size and direction of the new resultant velocity of the skier.
Relevant Equations: I used Sin and Cos for number 1

MY results are 10.6m s^1 Northerly and 22.7m s^-1 Easterly.
If 25 degrees E of N, which component would you expect to be the larger, E or N?

They way you've phrased the question I'm assuming it's the opposite to what I've put. So If I was thinking East should be bigger than I'm probably wrong and It's North.

amazingphysics2255 said:
They way you've phrased the question I'm assuming it's the opposite to what I've put. So If I was thinking East should be bigger than I'm probably wrong and It's North.
The angle between due north and the velocity vector is 25 degrees.

amazingphysics2255 said:
Right, but I am also trying to give you a way to check for yourself in future.

How does this help me solve my 3 questions?

amazingphysics2255 said:
How does this help me solve my 3 questions?
Doesn’t having it explained to you that your first answer was wrong help you get towards the right answer?

Likes Chestermiller
Thread locked, OP is changing the content without disclosing why making it difficult to respond.

Related to Finding the velocity of a skier

1. What is velocity and how is it different from speed?

Velocity is a measure of the rate at which an object changes its position in a specific direction, while speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving without specifying direction. In other words, velocity includes both the speed and direction of an object's motion, while speed only considers the magnitude of the object's motion.

2. How is the velocity of a skier calculated?

The velocity of a skier can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to cover that distance. This is represented by the formula: velocity = distance/time. The distance can be measured in meters, and the time can be measured in seconds.

3. What factors can affect the velocity of a skier?

The velocity of a skier can be affected by various factors such as the slope or incline of the terrain, the skier's body position, the type and condition of the snow, and any external forces such as wind or friction.

4. What is the SI unit for velocity and how is it commonly expressed?

The SI unit for velocity is meters per second (m/s). However, it is also commonly expressed in kilometers per hour (km/h) or miles per hour (mph) depending on the context.

5. Can the velocity of a skier change during their descent?

Yes, the velocity of a skier can change during their descent. This can happen due to factors such as changing terrain, adjustments in body position, or the application of external forces. It is important for a skier to be aware of these changes in velocity and adjust accordingly to maintain control and safety.