Finding the value of k (spring constant)

In summary, the value of the spring constant for the ideal very light spring that has been stretched 1.4m and requires 100J of work to stretch an additional 1.5m is 31 N/M. This is calculated by finding the total work done to stretch the spring, which is equal to the sum of the work done to stretch it 1.4m and the work required to stretch it an additional 1.5m. This total work is then set equal to the potential energy stored in the spring, which is represented by 1/2kx^2. Solving for k gives a value of 31 N/M.
p0ps1c1e
During a test experiment, the engineer finds an ideal very light spring has already been stretched 1.4m from its original length. He also finds that he needs to perform 100J of work to further stretch this spring an additional 1.5m. What is the value of the spring constant for this spring?

Homework Equations

W = F*d

F = -kx

So I wrote out that F1 = -kx to stretch the spring the initial 1.4m and then to stretch it the additional 1.5m it would take:

F2 +F1 = -2.9*k

I also wrote out:

F1 = -1.5k

Then I used 100 = F2*1.5

so F2 = 66.67 although I'm not sure if you can use this equation for a spring

Then 66.67 -1.5k = -2.9k and I tried solving for k but that didn't work so I'm not sure what else to try.

Physics news on Phys.org
p0ps1c1e said:
Then I used 100 = F2*1.5
There are two problems with that approach. First, your F2 is the additional force to get the extra 1.5m extension, but while extending it that 1.5m the total force applied is between F1and F1+F2. Therefore F1is an important part of the work done.
Secondly, the force only reaches F1+F2 at full extension, so neither can you write 100 = (F1+F2)*1.5.

In terms of k, what work was done to stretch it 1.4m? What total work was done to stretch it 1.4+1.5m?

So W1 = 1/2k*(1.4)^2 = 0.98k
W2 = 100
WorkTotal = 1/2k(2.9)^2 = 4.205k

Then I put it together 4.205k = 0.98k + 100J

so k = 31 N/M ?

Also, I thought 1/2kx^2 was for potential energy of a spring. So I'm kind of confused about the difference between the two now

p0ps1c1e said:
so k = 31 N/M ?
Looks right.
p0ps1c1e said:
I thought 1/2kx^2 was for potential energy of a spring.
The work done to stretch a spring (from slack) equals the potential energy stored in the spring (assuming no losses). Where's the confusion?

Thanks. I guess I just need to review this chapter some more

Related to Finding the value of k (spring constant)

1. How do you calculate the value of k for a spring?

To calculate the value of k (spring constant), you can use the formula k = F/x, where F is the force applied to the spring and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

2. What is the unit of measurement for k?

The unit of measurement for k (spring constant) is Newtons per meter (N/m) or kilograms per second squared (kg/s²) in the metric system, and pounds per inch (lb/in) in the imperial system.

3. Can the value of k change?

Yes, the value of k can change depending on factors such as the material and length of the spring, and the force applied to it. It can also change if the spring is stretched or compressed beyond its elastic limit.

4. How does the value of k affect the behavior of a spring?

The value of k affects the stiffness of a spring. A higher value of k indicates a stiffer spring, which means it will require more force to stretch or compress it. A lower value of k indicates a less stiff spring, which will be easier to stretch or compress.

5. What are some methods to determine the value of k experimentally?

Some methods to determine the value of k experimentally include using Hooke's law by measuring the force and displacement of the spring, using a force sensor and motion sensor to collect data, and using a torsion balance to measure the rotational force and angle of a spring.