Finding the total charge from the graph

In summary, the speaker is explaining the concept of current and charge, and how to calculate charge when the current is constant and non-constant. They also mention the role of integrals in representing the area under a graph.
red1312
Hi
I hope this the right place to put my question

image.jpg

I didn't understand how it became like this

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
A current of 1 A during one second means that 1 Coulomb has passed by.
If the current is constant, all you have to do is multiply current and time to get charge.
For example in the period 1-2 ms the current is constant, so the charge is 1 ms x 10 mA = 10 ##\mu##C
Which is also the area in the graph under the red line from 1-2 ms.

For 0-1 you have a non-constant current and the area under the red line is 10 x 1 /2 in mA x ms .

--

Does this help ?

Thank you very much
I understood the first part
But sorry I didn't get it the last part which is the 1/2 ,,,

Thank you again

In the first msec the current increases from 0 to 10 mA. It isn't 10 mA all through this msec, so 10 x 1 would be too much by a factor of about 2 as you can see from geometry.
In this case the average current during the first msec is 5 mA and the factor of 2 is exact.
Could it be that you aren't all that familiar with integrals and that integrals represent an area ?

Basically all that's done is that we add up all the little bits of charge = ##\ \ ## i x ##\Delta##t ##\ \ ## for the period 0 - 1 ms and do so for very small time steps. In the limit ##\Delta##t ##\downarrow ##0, this becomes the integral ##\int i \ dt##

Likes red1312

Related to Finding the total charge from the graph

What is the process for finding the total charge from a graph?

The process for finding the total charge from a graph involves calculating the area under the curve of the graph. This area represents the total charge.

Why is it important to find the total charge from a graph?

Finding the total charge from a graph allows scientists to analyze and understand the amount of electrical charge in a system. This information can be used to make predictions and draw conclusions about the behavior of the system.

What units are used to measure total charge?

Total charge is measured in units of Coulombs (C).

Can the total charge be negative?

Yes, the total charge can be negative if the graph represents a system with a net negative charge. This could be due to an excess of electrons or an overall negative charge imbalance.

How can I ensure accuracy when finding the total charge from a graph?

To ensure accuracy, it is important to use precise measurements and carefully calculate the area under the curve. It is also helpful to double check calculations and use multiple methods for finding the total charge to compare results.