Finding the time when the car starts to skid (Kleppner 2.29)

• Thread starter Dazed&Confused
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Time
In summary, the car starts to skid when the frictional force cannot provide the necessary acceleration.
Dazed&Confused

Homework Statement

This problem is taken from Kleppner's Intoduction to Mechanics and is problem 2.29.

A car is driven on a large revolving platform which rotates with constant angular speed [itex]\omega[/itex]. At time [itex]t=0[/itex] a driver leaves the origin and follows a line painted radially outward on the platform with constant speed [itex]v_0[/itex]. The total weight of the car is [itex]W[/itex], and the coefficient of friction between the car and stage is [itex]\mu[/itex].

a. Find the acceleration of the car as a function of time using polar coordinates.

b. Find the time at which the car starts to skid.

Homework Equations

Acceleration in polar coordinates [itex](\dot{r}\ -r \dot{\theta}^2 )\hat{r} +(r \ddot{\theta} +2\dot{r}\dot{\theta})\hat{\theta}[/itex].

[itex] f_{MAX} =\mu W[/itex], where [itex] f [/itex] is friction.

The Attempt at a Solution

So the acceleration is [itex](-v_0t\omega^2 )\hat{r} +(2v_0\omega)\hat{\theta}[/itex].

I think the time the car begins to skid when the frictional force cannot provide the necessary acceleration, or when the acceleration is [itex] \geq \mu g[/itex]. I would then find the absolute value of the acceleration, equate it to [itex]\mu g[/itex], and solve for [itex]t[/itex]. I'm not sure if this is correct, however.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have meticulously verified that this is correct. It turns out the exponential formula ##r e^{j\theta}## is safe to use which is nice.

##x(t) = v_0te^{jwt}##
##a(t) = [- v_0 w^2 t + 2vwj] e^{jwt}##

And I agree that ##|a(t)| = \mu g## is the correct calculation to do.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Well using that I get [tex] t = \dfrac{1}{\omega}\sqrt{\left(\dfrac{\mu^2g^2}{v_0^2\omega^2} -4\right)} [/tex].

Right, you've solved it. It's a strange formula but it must be correct.

verty said:
Right, you've solved it. It's a strange formula but it must be correct.

The thing is part c. asks me to find the frictional force with respect to the instantaneous position vector r just before it starts to skid. I think this could give a messy result.

Dazed&Confused said:
The thing is part c. asks me to find the frictional force with respect to the instantaneous position vector r just before it starts to skid. I think this could give a messy result.

Hmm, so they want mass times acceleration at time t, which requires substituting t into a(t).

##a(t) = v_0 w [-wt \hat{r} + 2 \hat{\theta}]##

I see no value in substituting for t here. I suppose this question was about managing complexity and being confident of each step. I certainly learned something doing it. So I suppose it wasn't such a bad question after all.

verty said:
Hmm, so they want mass times acceleration at time t, which requires substituting t into a(t).

##a(t) = v_0 w [-wt \hat{r} + 2 \hat{\theta}]##

I see no value in substituting for t here. I suppose this question was about managing complexity and being confident of each step. I certainly learned something doing it. So I suppose it wasn't such a bad question after all.

Sorry I read the question incorrectly. It was actually to find the direction of the frictional force which would require [itex]\text{arctan}[/itex].

I would just skip that part, that is too complicated. And anyway it's just the angle of the acceleration and one could always find it by substituting the values first and then finding the angle.

Likes 1 person
verty said:
I would just skip that part, that is too complicated. And anyway it's just the angle of the acceleration and one could always find it by substituting the values first and then finding the angle.

Ok. Thank you for your help.

Related to Finding the time when the car starts to skid (Kleppner 2.29)

1. What does the concept of "finding the time when the car starts to skid" refer to?

The concept refers to determining the exact moment when a car begins to lose traction and slide on a surface, typically due to factors such as speed, road conditions, and the vehicle's weight and tires.

2. Why is it important to know when a car starts to skid?

Knowing when a car starts to skid can help drivers anticipate and react to potentially dangerous situations, such as avoiding collisions or controlling the vehicle's direction and speed.

3. How is the time when a car starts to skid calculated?

The time can be calculated using the equation t = √(2μd/g), where t is the time, μ is the coefficient of friction between the tires and the road surface, d is the distance the car travels before skidding, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What factors can affect the time when a car starts to skid?

The time can be affected by various factors, such as the speed and weight of the car, the type and condition of the tires, the road conditions (e.g. wet or dry), and the coefficient of friction between the tires and the road surface.

5. How can knowing the time when a car starts to skid help improve car safety?

Knowing the time when a car starts to skid can help improve car safety by allowing drivers to adjust their speed and driving behavior accordingly, as well as by providing valuable information for vehicle design and road maintenance to reduce the risk of skidding accidents.