Finding the time constant given % of max value

In summary, the conversation is about determining the number of time constants it takes for the current in a circuit to reach certain percentages of its maximum value. The equations for time constant and current are provided, but without numerical values, it is difficult to find the time t. The suggestion is to use a table of values for e-x versus x to find the ratio between Vc and V and consider the equation for the voltage on a capacitor, even though there is no capacitor in the circuit.
Katsmed23

Homework Statement

After how many time constants does the current in the figure below ( http://www.webassign.net/gianpse3/30-06.gif ) reach the following values?

(a) within 67 percent of its maximum value

(b) within 6.7 percent of its maximum value

(c) within 0.67 percent of its maximum value

Homework Equations

tao (time constant) = L (inductor) /R (resistance)
I = Vo/R (1 - e^-time/tao)
Vc = V(1-e^-t/RC)

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I know that tao is the time required for the current (I) to reach the % of max value (1-1/e). However, given NO numerical values and just constants, I can't figure out how to find how many time constants. I tried taking the natural log of both sides and figuring out tao that way, but then I don't know the time t. I know that it is discharging because it isn't connected to the voltage anymore. please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
All you need is a table of values of e-x versus x.

Katsmed23 said:
given NO numerical values and just constants
So consider ratios. For case a), what is the ratio between Vc and V?
Katsmed23 said:
Vc = V(1-e^-t/RC)
How are you defining V and Vc? In what context does this equation apply? What does it say for t tending to infinity? Does that match the question?

haruspex said:
So consider ratios. For case a), what is the ratio between Vc and V?

How are you defining V and Vc? In what context does this equation apply? What does it say for t tending to infinity? Does that match the question?
Or a more direct way to ask this question: why are you considering the equation for the voltage on a capacitor when no capacitor appears in the circuit?

Related to Finding the time constant given % of max value

1. What is the time constant in a system?

The time constant in a system is a measure of how quickly a system responds to a change in its input. It is the time it takes for the system to reach a new steady-state value after a change has been made to its input.

2. How is the time constant calculated?

The time constant can be calculated by taking the reciprocal of the system's response rate. It can also be determined by dividing the change in the system's output by the change in the system's input.

3. What is % of max value in relation to the time constant?

% of max value refers to the percentage of the system's maximum output that it has reached at a given time. It is often used to measure the system's response rate and can be used to calculate the time constant.

4. How do I find the time constant given % of max value?

To find the time constant given % of max value, you can use the formula: time constant = (ln(100/% of max value))/response rate. The response rate can be determined by measuring the time it takes for the system to reach the % of max value.

5. Why is the time constant important in scientific research?

The time constant is important in scientific research as it helps us understand the behavior and response of a system to changes in its input. It can also be used to predict how long it will take for a system to reach a new steady-state value, which is crucial in many scientific experiments and studies.