Finding the Threshold Force for a Bike Wheel and Step to Lose Contact

• Thread starter plutonium
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bike Wheel
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a bike wheel resting against a small step. The height, weight, and radius of the wheel are given, and a horizontal force is applied to the axle. The question is asked about the magnitude of the force when the wheel just begins to lose contact with the ground. The conversation also includes a hint about the pivot point and torque that must be overcome.
plutonium
The drawing shows a bike wheel resting against a small step whose height is h=0.120m. The weight and radius of the wheel are W = 25.0N and r = 0.340m. A horizontal force F is applied ot eh axle of the weehl. As the magnitude of F increases, there comes a time when the wheel just begins to rise up and loses contact with the ground. What is the magnitude of the force when this happens?

I do not even know where to start. I tried to think of torques, but Fg acts on the center of the wheel, whose distance is 0 from the radius. I also tried to think of a normal force exerted by the step, but that just got really weird. Finally, I thought about friction from the floor below the step, but it didin't work out as well.

And the other problem was the force exerted by the horizontal force, which is also 0 from the radius since it acts directly on the axle.

And as an extention, can I prove that the height of the step must be between 0 and the radius of the wheel?

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a hint: When the wheel begins to rise up, about what point is it pivoting? (It's not the center of the wheel.)

Glad I found this. I'm doing the exact same problem out of the Cutnell Physics 7th Ed text. I get that there is a pivot point, but what the heck do I do? This problem is wracking my brains. Can anyone suggest what to start with? Once I get a hint I can probably piece it together. Much appreciated, thanks!

Hint: What torque must the horizontal force overcome?

Related to Finding the Threshold Force for a Bike Wheel and Step to Lose Contact

1. How does the size of a bike wheel affect its performance?

The size of a bike wheel can affect its performance in several ways. A larger wheel will generally roll faster and smoother, making it better for longer distances and higher speeds. However, a smaller wheel may provide better maneuverability and acceleration. Additionally, the size of the wheel can affect the bike's overall weight and balance.

2. Why do some bike wheels have more spokes than others?

The number of spokes on a bike wheel can vary depending on the type of bike and its intended use. More spokes generally make a wheel stronger and more durable, which is important for mountain biking or carrying heavy loads. However, for road bikes and racing bikes, fewer spokes are often used to reduce weight and improve aerodynamics.

3. How does the material of a bike wheel affect its performance?

The material of a bike wheel can greatly impact its performance. A lighter material, such as carbon fiber, can make the wheel more responsive and improve acceleration. However, a stronger material, such as steel, may be better for durability and handling rough terrain. It's important to consider the intended use of the bike when choosing the right material for the wheels.

4. Can the spokes on a bike wheel be adjusted for better performance?

Yes, the tension of the spokes on a bike wheel can be adjusted to improve performance. If the spokes are too loose, the wheel may not be as stable and could potentially go out of true. If the spokes are too tight, the wheel may not absorb shock as well and could be more prone to breaking. It's important to have the spokes properly tensioned for optimal performance.

5. What is the purpose of a step on a bike wheel?

The step on a bike wheel, also known as a rim brake track, is used to provide a surface for the brakes to grip onto. This allows the rider to slow down or stop the bike by applying pressure on the rim of the wheel. The step is typically made of a different material than the rest of the wheel to provide better braking performance.