Finding the subgroups of direct product group

In summary: Then I'm too lazy and just search here for the missing group, which is mentioned in the first link (as expected).In summary, there are 16 subgroups of Z2 x Z2 x Z2, including the trivial subgroup and the group itself. These subgroups have orders 1, 2, 4, and 8, and can be described using elements such as (0,0,0), (1,1,1), (0,0,1), (0,1,0), (1,0,0), (0,1,1), (1,0,1), (1,1,0), and (1,1,1). The missing subgroup, which was not
TimeRip496

Homework Statement

What are the subgroups of Z2 x Z2 x Z2?

Homework Equations

Hint: There are 16 subgroups.

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I only manage to get 15 and I am not even sure if these are correct.
My answer: $$(0,0,0) , (Z_2,Z_2,Z_2), (1,1,1), (0,0,1), (0,1,0), (1,0,0), (0,1,1), (1,0,1), (1,1,0), (0,Z_2,Z_2), (Z_2,0,Z_2),(Z_2,Z_2,0), (1,1,Z_2), (1,Z_2,1), (Z_2,1,1)$$

where <(Z2, Z2, Z2)> is not the same as <(1,1,1)>
$$<(Z_2,Z_2,Z_2)> = {(0,0,0),(1,1,1),(0,0,1),(0,1,0),(1,0,0),(0,1,1),(1,0,1),(1,1,0)}$$
$$<(1,1,1)>={(0,0,0),(1,1,1)}$$

Forgive me as I just started group theory and I am now using videos on visual group theory as a guide. The above question comes from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
TimeRip496 said:

Homework Statement

What are the subgroups of Z2 x Z2 x Z2?

Homework Equations

Hint: There are 16 subgroups.

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I only manage to get 15 and I am not even sure if these are correct.
My answer: $$(0,0,0) , (Z_2,Z_2,Z_2), (1,1,1), (0,0,1), (0,1,0), (1,0,0), (0,1,1), (1,0,1), (1,1,0), (0,Z_2,Z_2), (Z_2,0,Z_2),(Z_2,Z_2,0), (1,1,Z_2), (1,Z_2,1), (Z_2,1,1)$$

where <(Z2, Z2, Z2)> is not the same as <(1,1,1)>
$$<(Z_2,Z_2,Z_2)> = {(0,0,0),(1,1,1),(0,0,1),(0,1,0),(1,0,0),(0,1,1),(1,0,1),(1,1,0)}$$
$$<(1,1,1)>={(0,0,0),(1,1,1)}$$

Forgive me as I just started group theory and I am now using videos on visual group theory as a guide. The above question comes from here.

Your notation is not at all clear. Since the group has order 8 a subgroup will have order 1, 2, 4 or 8. Why don't you try and count them by order? Order 1 and 8 should be easy. Order 2 subgroups are pretty easy to describe. Order 4 takes a little more work (remember there are only two group structures of order 4 and since there are no elements of order 4 the subgroup must look like the Klein group {0, x, y, x+y}).

Your notation is a bit unusual, but this is mainly because we are trained to consider subgroups up to group bijections and your "diagonal" groups like ##(1,1,1)\, , \,(1,1,0)\, , \,(1,1,\mathbb{Z}_2)## as only images which are "the same" as ##\mathbb{Z}_2,\mathbb{Z}_2,\mathbb{Z}_2^2## and would prefer to denote the embeddings less short.

I couldn't find another group either and also got only 15 groups. So we've both missed the same subgroup or the number 16 is wrong. Why do you think it are 16?

fresh_42 said:
Your notation is a bit unusual, but this is mainly because we are trained to consider subgroups up to group bijections and your "diagonal" groups like ##(1,1,1)\, , \,(1,1,0)\, , \,(1,1,\mathbb{Z}_2)## as only images which are "the same" as ##\mathbb{Z}_2,\mathbb{Z}_2,\mathbb{Z}_2^2## and would prefer to denote the embeddings less short.

I couldn't find another group either and also got only 15 groups. So we've both missed the same subgroup or the number 16 is wrong. Why do you think it are 16?

I have one subgroup of order 1, one of order 8, seven of order 2 and seven of order 4. Totals to 16.

I have only six of order four. I can't see a symmetry broken with those, as it is the case with the all-3-diagonal at order two. But don't tell yet, I want to search for the lost candidate :smile:

Edit: Got it. To write down the four elements instead of the scheme used in the OP made the difference.

Last edited:
fresh_42 said:
I have only six of order four. I can't see a symmetry broken with those, as it is the case with the all-3-diagonal at order two. But don't tell yet, I want to search for the lost candidate :smile:

Edit: Got it. To write down the four elements instead of the scheme used in the OP made the difference.
Sorry for the scheme I used cause I just started group theory and I am following what I see from the video on Visual Group Theory above. Still I don't know what the last subgroup is so I am hoping you will enlighten me here. Thanks

TimeRip496 said:
Sorry for the scheme I used cause I just started group theory and I am following what I see from the video on Visual Group Theory above. Still I don't know what the last subgroup is so I am hoping you will enlighten me here. Thanks

I'm guessing it's {(0,0,0), (1,1,0), (1,0,1), (0,1,1)}.

Likes TimeRip496 and fresh_42
TimeRip496 said:
No need for a sorry. It works better than I thought. However, it also led to overlook the missing group (see @Dick's post above), because it isn't covered by the scheme. One way to get help on these kind of questions are the following tables I frequently use when in doubt:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_small_groups
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_kleiner_Gruppen

The second one is in the wrong language, but as a list of groups, this is a minor disadvantage. It lists the groups a bit differently, so I use both of them depending on the individual case and the mood I'm in.

Likes TimeRip496

Related to Finding the subgroups of direct product group

1. What is a direct product group?

A direct product group is a mathematical concept that combines two or more groups into a new group, where the elements of the new group are formed by all possible combinations of elements from the original groups.

2. How do you find the subgroups of a direct product group?

To find the subgroups of a direct product group, you need to first identify the subgroups of each individual group in the direct product. Then, you can combine these subgroups to form new subgroups of the direct product group.

3. Can all groups be expressed as a direct product of subgroups?

No, not all groups can be expressed as a direct product of subgroups. Some groups have properties that do not allow them to be broken down into simpler subgroups.

4. What is the significance of finding subgroups in a direct product group?

Finding subgroups in a direct product group allows for a better understanding of the structure and properties of the group. It also helps in simplifying complex group operations and can lead to the discovery of new subgroups with interesting properties.

5. Are there any algorithms or methods for finding subgroups in a direct product group?

Yes, there are several algorithms and methods for finding subgroups in a direct product group, such as the coset enumeration method, the Schreier-Sims algorithm, and the Todd-Coxeter algorithm. These methods can be used to systematically generate all the subgroups of a direct product group.