Finding the Stretch in a Spring for a 2D Equilibrium Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a rod, springs, and forces acting on the rod. The individual is having trouble drawing a free body diagram and determining the forces acting on the rod. They receive hints and work through the problem, eventually solving it. The conversation also clarifies the use of the un-stretched length in the equation and provides a method for finding the amount of stretch in the spring.
Oblivion77

Homework Statement

Here is the problem
2a14yx.jpg

Homework Equations

Sum of the forces in x, y and moments

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having troubles drawing a good FBD.

Physics news on Phys.org
What forces act on the rod?

Hint: Find the spring stretch as a function of angle.

Doc Al said:
What forces act on the rod?

Hint: Find the spring stretch as a function of angle.

I know there are 2 normals that act on the bar (from the collars) but which way are the normals acting?

Which way do "normals" usually act? :wink:

Doc Al said:
Which way do "normals" usually act? :wink:

perpendicular, so the normal at the bottom is vertical and the normal at the top is horizontal?

Oblivion77 said:
perpendicular, so the normal at the bottom is vertical and the normal at the top is horizontal?
Exactly.

Ok, so where does the force in the spring come along in the FBD?

Oblivion77 said:
Ok, so where does the force in the spring come along in the FBD?
You tell me. How is the spring oriented? Which way does it push?

Would the force in the spring be tension going straight up?

Oblivion77 said:
Would the force in the spring be tension going straight up?
Yep. You should have a good handle on that FBD now.

Doc Al said:
Yep. You should have a good handle on that FBD now.

Thanks for the help!

I am having some trouble seeing the stretched and un-stretched lengths of the spring. When the bar is vertical it looks like the un-stretched length is 0.

Oblivion77 said:
I am having some trouble seeing the stretched and un-stretched lengths of the spring. When the bar is vertical it looks like the un-stretched length is 0.
The unstretched length of the spring is unknown and unneeded. What you do need is how much the spring is stretched when the bar is at an angle. When the bar is vertical the spring is unstretched, thus the the amount of stretch is zero.

Hint: When the bar is at some angle α, how far down has the end of the bar pulled the spring compared to when the bar was vertical?

Is it something like 5sinα?

Oblivion77 said:
Is it something like 5sinα?
Something like that--but not that. :wink:

Locate the right triangle whose hypotenuse is the bar. What's the height of that triangle? That's the height of the right end of the bar. Compare that to its height when vertical. That will tell you the amount the spring has been stretched.

Ok, the hypotenuse is 5. So the adjacent side(vertical) is 5Cosα and opposite(horizontal) is 5Sinα. So is 5Cosα the stretched?

Oblivion77 said:
So is 5Cosα the stretched?
No, it's the height of the spring end measured from the horizontal fixed bar. Compare that to where the spring was when the angled bar was vertical (and the spring unstretched). The difference in height will tell you the amount the spring was stretched.

I still can't see what is happening. I am not good at spring questions. I know F=k(L-Lo). but earlier you said the un-stretched length was not needed.

Oblivion77 said:
I know F=k(L-Lo). but earlier you said the un-stretched length was not needed.
You need L-Lo, but not Lo.

Do this. Find the height of spring end above the fixed horizontal bar when the 5m bar is vertical. (That should be easy!) Then find its height when the 5m bar is at an angle. (You've already done that.) The difference between those two heights is the amount of stretch in the spring (which is all that L-Lo is) when the bar moves from vertical to some angle.

Doc Al said:
You need L-Lo, but not Lo.

Do this. Find the height of spring end above the fixed horizontal bar when the 5m bar is vertical. (That should be easy!) Then find its height when the 5m bar is at an angle. (You've already done that.) The difference between those two heights is the amount of stretch in the spring (which is all that L-Lo is) when the bar moves from vertical to some angle.

Thanks for all the help! I solved it now.

Related to Finding the Stretch in a Spring for a 2D Equilibrium Problem

What is a 2D equilibrium problem?

A 2D equilibrium problem involves analyzing the forces acting on a stationary object in two dimensions. It requires the use of vector addition and trigonometry to determine the magnitude and direction of the forces involved.

What is the difference between 2D and 3D equilibrium problems?

The main difference is the number of dimensions being analyzed. In 2D equilibrium, forces are only acting in two dimensions, while in 3D equilibrium, forces can act in three dimensions. This makes the math and calculations more complex in 3D equilibrium problems.

What are the steps to solve a 2D equilibrium problem?

The first step is to draw a free body diagram, identifying all the forces acting on the object. Then, break down each force into its x and y components. Next, use vector addition and trigonometry to find the resultant force in each direction. Finally, set up and solve equations to find the unknown forces or angles.

What are the key concepts to understand in 2D equilibrium problems?

The key concepts include understanding vector addition, trigonometry, and the concept of equilibrium, which means the sum of all forces acting on the object equals zero. It is also important to understand how to break down forces into their components and how to set up and solve equations to find the unknowns.

What are some real-life applications of 2D equilibrium problems?

2D equilibrium problems can be applied to many real-life situations, such as analyzing the forces acting on a bridge, calculating the tension in cables of a suspension bridge, determining the forces on a crane lifting a heavy object, or understanding the forces involved in an object at rest on an incline. It is also used in mechanical engineering, architecture, and physics.