Finding the State of a Quantum System with Given Hamiltonian and Observable

In summary, the professor provides a solution for the Hamiltonian H and observable A. The solution is $$|\psi(t)\rangle=\begin{pmatrix} 0\\-isin(\omega t)\\cos(\omega t)\end{pmatrix}$$ where ##|e_n\rangle## is the eigenket of ##H## corresponding to the eigenvalue ##-a##. The eigenvectors must be normalized first, or the completeness relation won't work.
LizardWizard
Homework Statement
We are given the Hamiltonian H and an observable A
##H=\begin{pmatrix}
2 & 0 & 0\\0 & 0 & 1\\0 & 1 & 0
\end{pmatrix}\hbar\omega
A=
\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 0 & 0\\0 & 1 & 0\\0 & 0 & -1
\end{pmatrix}a
##
We are also told that at ##t=0## we have that a measurement of A gives us -a, and then we are asked to determine the generic state of the system at time t

The attempt at a solution

For starters, the solution the professor gives is $$|\psi(t)\rangle=
\begin{pmatrix}
0\\-isin(\omega t)\\cos(\omega t)
\end{pmatrix}
$$

Now while I don't know how to arrive to this solution in particular, I know this result most likely follows from $$\psi(t)=e^{-iEt/\hbar}$$
since we already have that ##E=\hbar\omega##
But how exactly do I arrive at the solution provided? This is somewhat different from all the exercises I've seen so far so I don't really know the calculations involved.

Physics news on Phys.org
I thought I'd add some extra information. In another exercise we have
##H=\begin{pmatrix}
0 & 1 & 0\\1 & 0 & 0\\0 & 0 & 1
\end{pmatrix}\hbar\omega
A=
\begin{pmatrix}
-1 & 0 & 0\\0 & 1 & 0\\0 & 0 & -1
\end{pmatrix}a
##
and solution
$$|\psi(t)\rangle=
\begin{pmatrix}
-isin(\omega t)\\cos(\omega t)\\0
\end{pmatrix}
$$
Perhaps this helps illustrate my problem with this. The solution itself makes sense to me but the mechanism behind it elude me.

By the way this is my first post so please don't hesistate to give feedback.

LizardWizard said:
$$\psi(t)=e^{-iEt/\hbar}$$
It should be ##\psi(t)=e^{-iHt/\hbar}\psi(0)##, with ##\psi(0) = |u_3\rangle## (##|u_3\rangle## is the eigenket of ##A## correponding to eigenvalue ##-a##) as given by the problem. Next, make use of the completeness relation for the eigenkets of ##H##,
$$
\sum_{n=1}^3 |e_n\rangle \langle e_n| = 1
$$
with ##|e_n\rangle## the eigenket of ##H##, and place it somewhere in ##e^{-iHt/\hbar}\psi(0)## such that the exponential operator can act on ##|e_n\rangle##.

Likes LizardWizard
If the solution lies in having the eigenvectors of H act on ##\psi(t)## then I have, for the first example $$|e_1>=[1 0 0]$$$$|e_2>=[0 -1 1]$$$$|e_1>=[0 1 1]$$
from these ##|e_2>## would lead to the solution I am given, but would the other eigenvectors also lead to valid solutions? The same happens with the second example.

LizardWizard said:
from these |e2>|e2>|e_2> would lead to the solution I am given, but would the other eigenvectors also lead to valid solutions?
I don't know what you mean by ##|e_2\rangle## being the only eigenvector of ##H## which contributes to the answer. Using the completeness relation above, I have checked that ##|e_3\rangle## also contributes.
By the way, the eigenvectors you have there must first be normalized, otherwise, the completeness relation won't work.

I see, could you psot your solution then perhaps?

In PF, the helper is only allowed to guide the OP towards the correct answer without providing the final answer.
What about your own try, what did you get after properly utilizing the completeness relation in the equation ##\psi(t)=e^{-iHt/\hbar}|u_3\rangle##?

Last edited:
Likes LizardWizard
Ok, I understand. I'll go try it one more time now and see if it works out.

Related to Finding the State of a Quantum System with Given Hamiltonian and Observable

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It explains how particles behave and interact with each other on a microscopic scale.

2. How does quantum mechanics differ from classical mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is based on the principles of probability and uncertainty, while classical mechanics is based on determinism. In quantum mechanics, particles can exist in multiple states at the same time, while in classical mechanics, particles have specific, predictable positions and velocities.

3. What is the role of Schrödinger's equation in quantum mechanics?

Schrödinger's equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes how the wave function of a particle changes over time. It is used to calculate the probability of a particle's position and momentum at a given time.

4. Can quantum mechanics explain the behavior of macroscopic objects?

No, quantum mechanics is only applicable to particles at the atomic and subatomic level. The laws of classical mechanics are more accurate for larger objects, as the effects of quantum mechanics are negligible at a macroscopic scale.

5. What are some real-world applications of quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics has many practical applications, such as in the development of transistors, lasers, and computer memory. It is also used in fields such as cryptography, quantum computing, and quantum teleportation.