Finding the star of a wave vector using group theory

In summary, When finding the little co-group and star of two wave vectors for a diamond structure in space group 227, you must act on the vector by the symmetry operations in the group, particularly those in the isogonal point group Oh. This can be done graphically rather than by tedious matrix multiplication. The symmetry elements that leave the vector in place form the little co-group, which should be checked to ensure it forms a sub-group of Oh. Any positions that are not part of the little co-group form the star of the vector. Care should be taken with vectors on the border of the Brillouin zone boundary, as they may change positions by a reciprocal space vector. The results can be checked on the Bilbao crystallograph
jocke_x1
I'm working on a problem where I have to find the little co-group and star of two wave vectors for a diamond structure (space group 227). I know I have to act on the vector by the symmetry operations in the group (perhaps only the ones in the isogonal point group, Oh?) and see if it remains the same or at a point in the reciprocal lattice. My problem is that i don't know how to do it explicitly. How do I find the matrix representations of the operations?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since k-vectors are in reciprocal space, you use the point group operations, in this case Oh.

Doing this by matrix multiplication is tedious. It is much easier to do graphically.

You know the operations are

* 4-fold (90 deg) rotations about the face normals of the cube

* 3-fold (120 deg) rotations about the body diagonals of the cube

* 2-fold (180 deg) rotations about the face diagonal (translated so it goes through the center of the cube).

* Inversion symmetry k--> -k.

* all of the above followed by inversion symmetry.

Find the symmetry elements that leave k in place. These form the little co-group.
Once you have found all of them, you can check that they form a group (sub-group of Oh).

Be careful with vectors on the border of the Brillouin zone boundary. They may change place to a new positions that is related to the old one by a reciprocal space vector. Such positions are equivalent and the symmetry element belongs to the little co-group.

Whatever is left throws k elsewhere. All the positions you get in this way form the star of k.

You can check your results on the Bilbao crystallography server

http://www.cryst.ehu.es/cgi-bin/cryst/programs/nph-kv-list

(you will understand the output once you understand how to do this by hand :-) )

Related to Finding the star of a wave vector using group theory

1. What is a wave vector?

A wave vector, also known as a k-vector, represents the direction and magnitude of a wave in three-dimensional space. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze wave phenomena.

2. How is group theory used to find the star of a wave vector?

In group theory, a mathematical tool used to study symmetries, a wave vector is represented as a point in a mathematical space called a Brillouin zone. By using group theory, we can determine the symmetries of the crystal structure and identify the allowed values of the wave vector within the Brillouin zone.

3. What is the significance of finding the star of a wave vector?

Finding the star of a wave vector allows us to understand the symmetry properties of a crystal and how they affect the behavior of waves within the crystal. It also helps us to identify the allowed energy levels and wave functions for electrons in a crystal lattice.

4. Can group theory be used for any type of crystal structure?

Yes, group theory can be used for any type of crystal structure, including simple structures like a cubic lattice and more complex structures like quasicrystals. Group theory is a universal tool for studying symmetries, so it can be applied to a wide range of crystal structures.

5. Are there any practical applications of using group theory to find the star of a wave vector?

Yes, there are many practical applications of using group theory for finding the star of a wave vector. For example, it can be used to understand the electronic and optical properties of materials, design new materials with specific properties, and develop new technologies such as semiconductors and solar cells.