Finding the Spring constant without knowing the mass

In summary, the frequency of the oscillation of a block attached to a spring is found by using the formula f = 1/2π√(k/m). To find the spring constant, k, one can use the formula k = mg/x where m is the mass of the block and x is the amount of stretch in the spring. However, it is not necessary to know the specific values of k or m to find the frequency as it depends on the ratio of k/m. This information was helpful in finding the correct answer.
Northyellow
1. A spring is hung from the ceiling. When a block is attached to its end, it stretches 2.0 cm before reaching its new equilibrium length. The block is then pulled down slightly and released. what is the frequency of the oscillation?

2. The frequency is found by f= 1/2[tex]\pi[/tex] *[tex]\sqrt{K/M}[/tex]

So I guess the first thing to do is finding the spring constant: k = mg/x
This is the only formula I know for it, how can I find it if there is no given mass?

3. I can't really get past that, I just feel like I'm stuck as I don't know how to find the
spring constant without knowing the mass of the block...
Any hints are greatly appriciated,

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Northyellow said:
2. The frequency is found by f= 1/2[tex]\pi[/tex] *[tex]\sqrt{K/M}[/tex]

So I guess the first thing to do is finding the spring constant: k = mg/x
This is the only formula I know for it, how can I find it if there is no given mass?

You don't really need to find k or m in order to find the frequency; the frquency depends on (k/m) and surely you can find (k/m) from the relation k=mg/x right?:wink:

Thank you very much, did not see that.

That was really helpful, and I think I got the correct answer now. :)

thank you again :)

Last edited:

Related to Finding the Spring constant without knowing the mass

1. What is the spring constant and why is it important?

The spring constant, also known as the force constant, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It determines how much force is required to stretch or compress a spring by a certain distance. It is an important value in physics and engineering as it is used to calculate the magnitude of forces acting on a spring and to predict the behavior of a spring in different situations.

2. How is the spring constant typically calculated?

The spring constant can be calculated by dividing the applied force by the displacement of the spring. This is known as Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to its displacement from its equilibrium position. In mathematical terms, this can be expressed as F = -kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement.

3. Can the spring constant be found without knowing the mass of the object attached to the spring?

Yes, the spring constant can still be calculated without knowing the mass of the object attached to the spring. This is because the spring constant is a property of the spring itself and is not affected by the mass of the object attached to it.

4. Are there any other methods to determine the spring constant without knowing the mass?

Yes, there are other methods to determine the spring constant without knowing the mass. This includes using a force sensor to measure the force and displacement of the spring, or using a frequency generator to find the resonance frequency of the spring and using it to calculate the spring constant.

5. Can the spring constant change over time?

Yes, the spring constant can change over time. This is known as spring fatigue and occurs when a spring is repeatedly stretched or compressed. The repeated stress on the spring causes it to lose its elasticity, resulting in a change in the spring constant. This is an important consideration when using springs in engineering applications.