Finding the Spring Constant of a mattress

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the spring constant for a mattress that can comfortably support a 100kg person. The correct answer is 1400N/M, and the conversation also touches on the use of energy conservation and the dynamics of the situation.
012anonymousx

Homework Statement

A mattress manufacturer estimates that 20 springs are required to comfortable support a 100kg person. When supporting the person, the 20 springs are compressed 0.035m. Calculate the spring constant for one sprint.

Homework Equations

The answer is 1400N/M at the back of my textbook. How does one solve it?
Why does my solution not work?

The Attempt at a Solution

(20)Ee = Eg //The gravitational potential energy is transferred to the 20 springs.
20(0.5)(k)(x^2) = mgh
10(k)(0.035^2) = (100)(9.8)(0.035)
k = 2800N/M
So close yet so far...

Physics news on Phys.org
You have used conservation of energy. Think about the dynamics of that. Person let go from rest on uncompressed springs... what will happen?
You don't need to think about energy here. Just treat it as a statics question.

Ah,
F = kx
k = F/x
k = mg/x
k = (100)(9.8) / 0.035 x 20
k = 1400

I still think my solution should have worked. I don't understand conceptually why energy is not conserved.

012anonymousx said:
I still think my solution should have worked. I don't understand conceptually why energy is not conserved.
As I said, you treated it as though the person was suspended horizontally, just touching the bed, then released. Suppose energy is conserved - what will happen? The person will fall, compressing the springs, but 'overshoot'. When the force from the springs matches the person's weight, the person will stop accelerating, but already has momentum and KE, so will continue to descend. When descent ceases, the springs will be applying a larger force and the person will bounce back up. If energy is conserved they will come all the way back up to starting position before descending again, and bounce forever.
The question required the point at which there was no acceleration, somewhere between the extremes of the bounce.

I would like to point out that this problem is not solvable with the given information. In order to calculate the spring constant, we need to know the force exerted by each spring, which is not given in the problem. Additionally, the equation used in the attempt at a solution is incorrect. The equation for gravitational potential energy should be mgh, not mgh^2.

To accurately determine the spring constant, we would need to know the force exerted by each spring (which can be calculated using the given information about the number of springs and their compression) and the displacement of each spring. With this information, we can use Hooke's Law (F=-kx) to calculate the spring constant, where F is the force exerted by the spring, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring.

Furthermore, the given answer of 1400N/M does not seem to be correct. Using the given information, the force exerted by each spring would be 490N (100kg x 9.8m/s^2 / 20 springs), and the displacement would be 0.035m. Plugging these values into Hooke's Law, we get a spring constant of 14,000N/M, not 1400N/M.

In conclusion, to accurately solve this problem, we would need more information and the correct equation. It is important to carefully check all equations and units to ensure an accurate solution.

Related to Finding the Spring Constant of a mattress

1. What is the spring constant of a mattress?

The spring constant of a mattress is a measure of how stiff or soft the mattress is. It is the amount of force required to compress the mattress by a certain distance.

2. How is the spring constant of a mattress calculated?

The spring constant of a mattress can be calculated by dividing the force applied to the mattress by the distance the mattress is compressed. This is known as Hooke's Law: F = kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the distance.

3. What factors can affect the spring constant of a mattress?

The spring constant of a mattress can be affected by the type and quality of the springs used, the thickness and density of the mattress materials, and the overall design and construction of the mattress.

4. Why is it important to know the spring constant of a mattress?

Knowing the spring constant of a mattress can help determine the level of support and comfort it provides. It can also help in identifying any potential issues or defects with the mattress that may affect its performance and longevity.

5. How can the spring constant of a mattress be measured?

The spring constant of a mattress can be measured using a force gauge to apply a known force to the mattress and a ruler to measure the distance of compression. This process can be repeated multiple times to get an average spring constant for the mattress.