Finding the speed of an object on a pulley system

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the conservation of energy and the calculation of velocity using equations for potential and kinetic energy. The person asking the question made a mistake by using the incorrect mass in their calculation and the correct answer is achieved by using a mass of 3m instead of just m in the kinetic energy equation.
TiernanW

Homework Statement

tsdVoFy.jpg

Homework Equations

PE = mgh
KE = 0.5mv^2
WD = F * s

The Attempt at a Solution

Its part i. I understand the solution when you look at the whole system. You do not need to consider the tension in the string because they cancel out, but I want to be able to do it just considering B's KE and PE.

So I said that for B, the PE at the start is mgl and at the end it is considered 0. For its kinetic energy, at the start it is 0 and at the end it is 0.5mv^2. I also realize that it is subject to resistance from the tension in the string, so I resolved the forces to 3mg - T = 3ma (For B) and T - mgSin30 = ma (for A). From this I solved for T to get T = 9/8mg. Then I calculated the work done against tension as WD = -9/8mgl.

So then using the conservation of energy I said that 3mgl = 0.5mv^2 + 9/8mgl and for v I got (√15gl)/2. (g and l also in root)

The correct answer however is v = (√5gl)/2. (g and l also in root).

I know its easier to do it considering the whole system, but I want to do it this way, so what have I done wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
TiernanW said:

Homework Statement

[ IMG]http://i.imgur.com/tsdVoFy.jpg[/PLAIN]

Homework Equations

PE = mgh
KE = 0.5mv^2
WD = F * s

The Attempt at a Solution

Its part i. I understand the solution when you look at the whole system. You do not need to consider the tension in the string because they cancel out, but I want to be able to do it just considering B's KE and PE.

So I said that for B, the PE at the start is mgl and at the end it is considered 0. For its kinetic energy, at the start it is 0 and at the end it is 0.5mv^2. I also realize that it is subject to resistance from the tension in the string, so I resolved the forces to 3mg - T = 3ma (For B) and T - mgSin30 = ma (for A). From this I solved for T to get T = 9/8mg. Then I calculated the work done against tension as WD = -9/8mgl.

So then using the conservation of energy I said that 3mgl = 0.5mv^2 + 9/8mgl and for v I got (√15gl)/2. (g and l also in root)

The correct answer however is v = (√5gl)/2. (g and l also in root).

I know its easier to do it considering the whole system, but I want to do it this way, so what have I done wrong?
You used a mass of m, not 3m, in the K.E.

Attachments

• tsdVoFy.jpg
    tsdVoFy.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 607
Likes TiernanW
SammyS said:
You used a mass of m, not 3m, in the K.E.
Shoot. Awkward haha. Thanks! :)

Related to Finding the speed of an object on a pulley system

1. What is a pulley system?

A pulley system is a simple machine that uses a wheel with a groove and a rope or cable to lift or move heavy objects. It allows for the application of less force over a longer distance to move an object.

2. How do you find the speed of an object on a pulley system?

To find the speed of an object on a pulley system, you need to measure the distance the object travels and the time it takes to travel that distance. Then, you can use the formula speed = distance/time to calculate the speed in meters per second (m/s).

3. What factors affect the speed of an object on a pulley system?

The speed of an object on a pulley system can be affected by several factors, such as the weight of the object, the length of the rope or cable, the number of pulleys used, and the amount of friction in the system. The more weight an object has, the slower it will move, while using more pulleys can increase the speed.

4. How does friction impact the speed of an object on a pulley system?

Friction can have a significant impact on the speed of an object on a pulley system. The more friction present, the slower the object will move as it encounters resistance and requires more force to overcome it. Reducing friction, for example by using lubricants, can increase the speed of the object.

5. Can the speed of an object on a pulley system be greater than the speed of the weight being lifted?

No, the speed of an object on a pulley system cannot be greater than the speed of the weight being lifted. The weight being lifted determines the maximum speed of the object, and the system cannot increase it beyond that. However, using more pulleys can help distribute the weight and make it easier to lift, thus increasing the speed of the object.