Finding the speed of a disk after being hit by a bullet.

In summary, to find the angular speed of the disk after the bullet hits it, we can use the conservation of angular momentum and the formula for rotational inertia for a disk. After solving for omega, we get an angular speed of 4 rad/s.
Taylor93

Homework Statement

A .01kg bullet traveling at 800m/s hits a disk with a radius of R=.1m at R/2 and leaves with a speed of 400m/s. what is the angular speed of the disk right after? (omega)

Homework Equations

conservation of angular momentum
Inertia for a disk

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried conserving momentum and I used the formula for rotational inertia for a disk and found omega to equal 8rad/s. Am I right? and if not, what should I have done?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! As a fellow scientist, I would like to offer my input on your attempt at solving this problem. Your approach of using conservation of angular momentum and the formula for rotational inertia for a disk is correct. However, I believe your calculation for omega may be incorrect.

To solve for omega, we can use the equation:

L = I*omega

Where L is the angular momentum and I is the moment of inertia for a disk, given by:

I = (1/2)*m*r^2

Substituting the given values, we get:

L = (1/2)*(.01kg)*(400m/s)*(0.05m) = 1kg*m^2/s

Now, we know that angular momentum is conserved, so we can equate the initial and final angular momentum to get:

L = I*omega

1kg*m^2/s = (1/2)*(.01kg)*(800m/s)*(0.05m)*omega

Solving for omega, we get:

omega = 4 rad/s

So, the angular speed of the disk right after the bullet hits it is 4 rad/s. I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Finding the speed of a disk after being hit by a bullet.

What is the process for finding the speed of a disk after being hit by a bullet?

The process for finding the speed of a disk after being hit by a bullet involves measuring the distance the disk traveled after being hit, determining the time it took for the disk to travel that distance, and using the formula speed = distance/time to calculate the velocity of the disk.

What are the important factors to consider when finding the speed of a disk after being hit by a bullet?

The important factors to consider when finding the speed of a disk after being hit by a bullet include the mass of the bullet, the mass and shape of the disk, the distance the disk traveled, and the time it took for the disk to travel that distance. Air resistance and other external forces may also need to be taken into account.

How does the mass of the bullet affect the speed of the disk after being hit?

The mass of the bullet affects the speed of the disk after being hit by determining the amount of force imparted on the disk. The greater the mass of the bullet, the greater the force and resulting speed of the disk will be.

What is the formula for calculating the speed of a disk after being hit by a bullet?

The formula for calculating the speed of a disk after being hit by a bullet is speed = distance/time. This formula takes into account the distance the disk traveled and the time it took to travel that distance, resulting in the velocity of the disk.

How accurate is the calculated speed of a disk after being hit by a bullet?

The accuracy of the calculated speed of a disk after being hit by a bullet depends on the precision of the measurements and the consideration of all relevant factors. Other variables, such as air resistance, may also affect the accuracy of the calculated speed.