Finding the solutions to a quadratic equation with a complex conjugate

I'm sorry, I do not understand. Could you please provide a summary of the conversation?In summary, the problem is to find all solutions to the equation z^2 + 4conjugate[z] + 4 = 0, where z is a complex number. It is suggested to write z as a + bi and substitute it into the equation, then separate the real and imaginary parts and solve for a and b. This will give the complex solutions. To find the real solution, set the imaginary part to 0 and solve for a, then substitute this into z = a + bi to get the real solution. The conversation also includes some discussion and clarification on expanding and factoring the equation.
Cottontails

Homework Statement

Find all solutions to z^2 + 4conjugate[z] + 4 = 0 where z is a complex number.

Homework Equations

Alternate form: 4conjugate[z] + z^2 = -4

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried solving this solution using the quadratic formula.
However, √b^2 - 4ac = √16 - 4x1x4 = 0. Therefore, as the square root is not negative, there are no imaginary numbers and the solution cannot be complex, right? Although, I am also confused with solving this, given that there is a conjugate in the equation. So, would I have to solve the equation twice, one as z^2+4z+4=0 and the other as z^2-4z+4=0?
I also put the equation into wolfram alpha and got the real solution as z=-2 and the complex solutions as z=2-4i, z=2+4i. Is that the right answer? How would you get the real solution and the complex solution from the equation then?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Cottontails! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
Cottontails said:
z^2 + 4conjugate[z] + 4 = 0

hint: the complex conjugate of that equation (indeed, any true equation) is also true :wink:

Sorry, I don't understand. What do you mean by saying that the complex conjugate is true?

Cottontails said:

Homework Statement

Find all solutions to z^2 + 4conjugate[z] + 4 = 0 where z is a complex number.

Homework Equations

Alternate form: 4conjugate[z] + z^2 = -4

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried solving this solution using the quadratic formula.
However, √b^2 - 4ac = √16 - 4x1x4 = 0. Therefore, as the square root is not negative, there are no imaginary numbers and the solution cannot be complex, right? Although, I am also confused with solving this, given that there is a conjugate in the equation. So, would I have to solve the equation twice, one as z^2+4z+4=0 and the other as z^2-4z+4=0?
I also put the equation into wolfram alpha and got the real solution as z=-2 and the complex solutions as z=2-4i, z=2+4i. Is that the right answer? How would you get the real solution and the complex solution from the equation then?

Strictly speaking, your equation is not quadratic in z (because of the presence of [itex]\overline{z}[/itex]. It would be a quadratic if it were z2 + 4z + 4 = 0.

The way to go here is to write z = a + bi so [itex]\overline{z}[/itex] = a - bi. Substitute in the original equation and separate into real and imaginary parts, and then solve for a and b. This works to produce the same answers that wolframalpha provided.

Cottontails said:
Sorry, I don't understand. What do you mean by saying that the complex conjugate is true?

[itex]\bar{z}^2 + 4z + 4 = 0[/itex] :wink:

(for the same z)

Mark44 said:
Strictly speaking, your equation is not quadratic in z (because of the presence of [itex]\overline{z}[/itex]. It would be a quadratic if it were z2 + 4z + 4 = 0.

The way to go here is to write z = a + bi so [itex]\overline{z}[/itex] = a - bi. Substitute in the original equation and separate into real and imaginary parts, and then solve for a and b. This works to produce the same answers that wolframalpha provided.

Yes, I have tried that method as well however, was unable to finish solving it so I assumed I was solving it incorrectly.
z = a + bi conjugate[z]= a - bi
(a+bi)^2 + 4(a-bi) + 4 = 0
-> a^2 - bi^2 - 2abi + 4 =0
That is all I got up to. I do not know how to solve the equation from there.

Cottontails said:
Yes, I have tried that method as well however, was unable to finish solving it so I assumed I was solving it incorrectly.
z = a + bi conjugate[z]= a - bi
(a+bi)^2 + 4(a-bi) + 4 = 0
-> a^2 - bi^2 - 2abi + 4 =0
You have a couple of mistakes above, possibly due to skipping steps.
For one mistake, (bi)2 = -b2, not -bi2.

Start by carefully expanding this equation: (a+bi)2 + 4(a-bi) + 4 = 0
Cottontails said:
That is all I got up to. I do not know how to solve the equation from there.

Mark44 said:
You have a couple of mistakes above, possibly due to skipping steps.
For one mistake, (bi)2 = -b2, not -bi2.

Start by carefully expanding this equation: (a+bi)2 + 4(a-bi) + 4 = 0

Yes, sorry. I missed adding in the expansion of 4(a-bi). I also thought about bi^2 = -b^2 (as i^2=-1) yet, got confused as to whether it should be left or not. Thanks for the correction there.
Okay, so now I have:
a^2 + 2abi - b^2 + 4a - 4bi + 4 = 0
So, from here, would I have to factorise to reduce the equation further? As, I can't find any common factors.

Cottontails said:
Yes, sorry. I missed adding in the expansion of 4(a-bi). I also thought about bi^2 = -b^2 (as i^2=-1) yet, got confused as to whether it should be left or not. Thanks for the correction there.
Okay, so now I have:
So, from here, would I have to factorise to reduce the equation further? As, I can't find any common factors.

No, split this equation into its real part and its imaginary part, which will result in two equations. At that point you will need to do some easy factoring. Then solve for a and b.

Mark44 said:
No, split this equation into its real part and its imaginary part, which will result in two equations. At that point you will need to do some easy factoring. Then solve for a and b.

Okay, thanks. I understand that you solve for a and b and those values will the be substituted into z = a + bi and z = a - bi to get the two complex solutions.
However, how you find the real solution (in finding z = -2)? I obtained a = -2 from solving the imaginary parts. So, would you then use b = 0 and then substitute that into z = (-2) + (0)i to then give z = -2?
As for solving the real parts, I have gotten stuck with it.
So, the equation: a^2 - b^2 + 4a + 4 = 0
a^2 = b^2 - 4a - 4
a = √b^2 - 4a - 4
a = b - 2√a - 2
b^2 = a^2 + 4a + 4
b = √a^2 + 4a + 4
b = a + 2√a + 2
Then substituting b into a:
a = (a + 2√a + 2) - 2√a - 2
Yet, that then equals a = a
With doing the same for substituting a into b, I also get b = b.
I know I'm doing something wrong here so, what is my mistake?
(I previously solved the equation, mistakingly using the equation a^2 - b^2 + 4 =0 and I was able to understand how it was able to give the values of a and b (yet, I know that's not right as the equation is wrong). So, I do understand the method required but just can't recognise where I went wrong with my working.

Cottontails said:
Okay, thanks. I understand that you solve for a and b and those values will the be substituted into z = a + bi and z = a - bi to get the two complex solutions.
However, how you find the real solution (in finding z = -2)? I obtained a = -2 from solving the imaginary parts. So, would you then use b = 0 and then substitute that into z = (-2) + (0)i to then give z = -2?
As for solving the real parts, I have gotten stuck with it.
So, the equation: a^2 - b^2 + 4a + 4 = 0
Write this as a2 + 4a + 4 - b2 = 0.
or (a + 2)2 - b2 = 0.
Can you continue from there?

Cottontails said:
a^2 = b^2 - 4a - 4
a = √b^2 - 4a - 4
a = b - 2√a - 2
b^2 = a^2 + 4a + 4
b = √a^2 + 4a + 4
b = a + 2√a + 2
Then substituting b into a:
a = (a + 2√a + 2) - 2√a - 2
Yet, that then equals a = a
With doing the same for substituting a into b, I also get b = b.
I know I'm doing something wrong here so, what is my mistake?
(I previously solved the equation, mistakingly using the equation a^2 - b^2 + 4 =0 and I was able to understand how it was able to give the values of a and b (yet, I know that's not right as the equation is wrong). So, I do understand the method required but just can't recognise where I went wrong with my working.

Mark44 said:
Write this as a2 + 4a + 4 - b2 = 0.
or (a + 2)2 - b2 = 0.
Can you continue from there?

(a + 2)^2 - b^2 = 0
b^2 = (a + 2)^2
b = a + 2
However, how would I solve it to get the value of a? I have tried substituting b = a + 2 back into the equation but then I get 0, which I know isn't right...

Slow dowwwwn, and go back to …
Cottontails said:
Okay, so now I have:

a2 + 2abi - b2 + 4a - 4bi + 4 = 0

is two simultaneous equations

so (general strategy :wink:) solve the easy one :-p first, then substitute that into the other one

in this case, the easy one is 2abi - 4bi = 0 :smile:

tiny-tim said:

Slow dowwwwn, and go back to …

a2 + 2abi - b2 + 4a - 4bi + 4 = 0

is two simultaneous equations

so (general strategy :wink:) solve the easy one :-p first, then substitute that into the other one

in this case, the easy one is 2abi - 4bi = 0 :smile:

Okay, thanks for pointing that out. I solved 2abi - 4bi = 0
2abi = 4bi
-> a = 2
b = a + 2
b = 2 + 2
-> b = 4
z = a + bi, z = a - bi
z = 2 + 4i, z = 2 - 4i are the imaginary/complex solutions.
However, how would you find the real solution (z = -2)? Would you just use the original equation and solve it using the quadratic formula?

Cottontails said:
Okay, thanks for pointing that out. I solved 2abi - 4bi = 0
2abi = 4bi
-> a = 2

aha! wrooong! :biggrin:

the correct statement is …

2abi = 4bi

-> a = 2 or b = 0​

… innit? o:)

(the moral: never divide by 0 and expect the universe not to notice :rolleyes:)

Yes, that makes sense. However, if a = 2 and b = 0, then if you substitute it back into z = a + bi, then you get z = 2, which doesn't satisfy the imaginary or real solutions. Yet, if you substitute b = 0 into b = a + 2, you get a = -2. Substituting that into z = a + bi, it would then equal z = -2 (real solution).
Sorry, I'm really confused now...

tiny-tim said:
-> a = 2 or b = 0
Cottontails said:
… However, if a = 2 and b = 0 …

"or" … "and" :rolleyes:

get some sleep! :zzz:​

Oh, right. So, from solving the imaginary parts, you get b = 0. You substitute that into b = a + 2, to get a = -2. Therefore, substituting that into z = a + bi, z = -2 (real solution).
For the imaginary solution, it is how I had solved it previously.
Is that now all correct?

yup! :smile:

Okay, great. Thank you for all your help!

Cottontails said:
(a + 2)^2 - b^2 = 0
b^2 = (a + 2)^2
b = a + 2
You missed a solution, and I don't think any of the other people responding noticed.

If you factor the first equation above, you get
((a + 2) - b)((a + 2) + b) = 0

This leads to a + 2 = ± b

Cottontails said:
However, how would I solve it to get the value of a? I have tried substituting b = a + 2 back into the equation but then I get 0, which I know isn't right...

Mark44 said:
You missed a solution, and I don't think any of the other people responding noticed.

If you factor the first equation above, you get
((a + 2) - b)((a + 2) + b) = 0

This leads to a + 2 = ± b

Oh, wow. Thanks for pointing that out!

The mistake you made is thinking that the equation x2 = 4 can be solved by taking the square root of each side, and getting x = 2.

A better way to approach this is to write x2 - 4 = 0, or (x - 2)(x + 2) = 0, which results in x = 2 or x = -2.

Related to Finding the solutions to a quadratic equation with a complex conjugate

1. What is a quadratic equation with complex conjugate solutions?

A quadratic equation with complex conjugate solutions is an equation of the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are real numbers and the solutions are complex numbers in the form of a + bi and a - bi.

2. How do you find the solutions to a quadratic equation with complex conjugate solutions?

To find the solutions to a quadratic equation with complex conjugate solutions, you can use the quadratic formula: x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a. Plug in the values of a, b, and c from the given equation and solve for x.

3. Can a quadratic equation have only complex conjugate solutions?

Yes, a quadratic equation can have only complex conjugate solutions. This means that the solutions will only be in the form of a + bi and a - bi, with no real solutions.

4. What is the significance of complex conjugate solutions in a quadratic equation?

The significance of complex conjugate solutions in a quadratic equation is that they allow for a complete solution to the equation, even if the solutions are not real numbers. Complex numbers have many important applications in mathematics and the sciences.

5. How can you tell if a quadratic equation has complex conjugate solutions?

A quadratic equation has complex conjugate solutions if the discriminant, b^2 - 4ac, is negative. This indicates that the solutions will be in the form of a + bi and a - bi, rather than real numbers.