Finding the slope of a section of a graph in excel

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the slope of a specific section of a graph in Excel, with the speaker suggesting three potential hacks to achieve this: copying and plotting data, using equations to create a fit line, or doing a least-squares fit.
member 392791
Hello,

I have a graph of a tensile test of a metal sample, and I wish to find the slope on the graph of only the elastic region of the graph, meaning of the entire graph, there is only one section of it that I am interested in finding the slope for.

Is there a way in excel to make it such that you only find the slope of certain data points, as opposed to the slope of the entire graph?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I can only suggest a few hacks. I assume your elastic data is in B2:B10, and the plastic in B11:B15.

Option 1. Copy B10 into C10 and move B11:B15 into C11:C15. Plot both lines on the same chart using the same colours and point styles, and fit the elastic line. Hide the legend to conceal the implementation.

Option 2. Delete the plastic data; plot and fit the elastic data in the normal way, making sure to dispaf the equation of the line. Note down the equation, delete the chart and put the plastic data back in. Use the equation to create a column C containing the fit line and plot in the normal way.

Option 3. Do a least-squares fit yourself and plot it in the nomal way. I think Excel has SUMSQ and SUMPRODUCT functions that may prove useful in determining the parameters.

Related to Finding the slope of a section of a graph in excel

1. How do I find the slope of a section of a graph in excel?

To find the slope of a section of a graph in excel, you can use the SLOPE function. This function takes two inputs, the y-values and the x-values, and calculates the slope of the line passing through those points.

2. Can I find the slope of a non-linear graph in excel?

No, the SLOPE function in excel only works for linear graphs. If you have a non-linear graph, you can still find the slope of a section by selecting two points on the curve and using the slope formula: (y2-y1)/(x2-x1).

3. How do I select the data for finding the slope in excel?

To select the data for finding the slope in excel, you will need to have your x-values in one column and your y-values in another column. Then, you can highlight both columns and use the SLOPE function.

4. Can I change the units of the slope in excel?

Yes, the units of the slope in excel will depend on the units of your x and y values. For example, if your x-values are in meters and your y-values are in seconds, the slope will have units of meters/second.

5. How can I visualize the slope of a section of a graph in excel?

You can visualize the slope of a section of a graph in excel by creating a scatter plot with a trendline. The slope of the trendline will be equivalent to the slope of the section of the graph you are interested in.