Finding the singular points for this differential equation

In summary, the conversation is about a confusion regarding including the power series for ln(x) in a solution to a differential equation and the tediousness of the problem. The expert suggests that the question is not asking for a solution, but rather just finding singular points.
JKC

Homework Statement

If d^2/dx^2 + ln(x)y = 0[/B]

Homework Equations

included in attempt

The Attempt at a Solution

I was confused as to whether I include the power series for ln(x) in the solution. It makes comparing coefficients very nasty though.

CS3DKyz.png

Whenever I expand for m=0 for the a0 I end up with a pretty nasty expansion. Can somebody tell me where I'm going wrong here?

Thanks

Note: I understand how tedious this part of calculus is so thanks in advance to anyone willing to take the time to lend a hand.

Attachments

• CS3DKyz.png
    CS3DKyz.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 1,295
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
JKC said:

Homework Statement

If d^2/dx^2 + ln(x)y = 0[/B]
You're missing y on the left side.
JKC said:

Homework Equations

included in attempt

The Attempt at a Solution

I was confused as to whether I include the power series for ln(x) in the solution. It makes comparing coefficients very nasty though.

View attachment 213501

Whenever I expand for m=0 for the a0 I end up with a pretty nasty expansion. Can somebody tell me where I'm going wrong here?

Thanks

Note: I understand how tedious this part of calculus is so thanks in advance to anyone willing to take the time to lend a hand.
I think you might be going about it wrong. Based on what you posted, the question is not asking you to solve the DE -- just find the singular points. Obviously you're not going to get a series in powers of x, because the DE is not defined at x = 0.

Related to Finding the singular points for this differential equation

What is a singular point in a differential equation?

A singular point in a differential equation is a point where the solution of the equation cannot be determined based on the initial conditions. This can happen when the solution becomes infinite or undefined at a certain point.

How do you find the singular points in a differential equation?

To find the singular points, you need to set the denominator of the equation equal to zero and solve for the values of the variable that make the denominator zero. These values are the singular points.

Why is it important to find the singular points in a differential equation?

Finding the singular points helps determine the behavior of the solution near those points. It can also help identify any special solutions to the equation that may exist at the singular points.

What are the different types of singular points in a differential equation?

There are three types of singular points: regular, irregular, and essential. Regular singular points are those where the solution is finite and well-behaved. Irregular singular points are those where the solution becomes infinite or undefined. Essential singular points are those where the equation has an essential singularity, meaning the solution is not analytic.

Can a differential equation have more than one singular point?

Yes, a differential equation can have multiple singular points. In fact, some equations may have an infinite number of singular points. It is important to find all the singular points in order to fully understand the behavior of the solution.