Finding the Simple Interest for a specific year

In summary, the problem involves calculating the simple interest for the second year, given a principle of $49000, an interest rate of 57 1/7%, and a term of 4 years. This can be calculated by multiplying the interest rate (0.57286) by the principle ($49000), resulting in a simple interest of $28000. However, there may be confusion as to whether the problem is about simple or compound interest, as the wording suggests the possibility of compound interest.
Benjamin_harsh
Homework Statement
P = 49000; R = 57 1/7%; T = 4 yrs; SI of 2nd year = ?
Relevant Equations
R = 57 1/7% i.e 4/7. i.e Interest/Principle
P = 49000; R = 57 1/7%; T = 4 yrs; SI of 2nd year = ?

R = 57 1/7% i.e 4/7. i.e Interest/Principle.

Principle; 7 corresponds to 49000.

After this how to proceed?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since this is 'simple' interest, it is just the interest rate times the principle:
0.57286 (to 5 decimal places) times $49000. Or, since 49000 is divisible by 7 (I presume that is what you mean by "7 corresponds to 49000) 57 and 1/7 equals 399/7+ 1/7= 400/7 so you have (400/7)(49000)/100= 400(70)= 28000.

("57 and 1/7 percent is amazingly high interest!)

HallsofIvy said:
Since this is 'simple' interest, it is just the interest rate times the principle:
0.57286 (to 5 decimal places) times $49000. Or, since 49000 is divisible by 7 (I presume that is what you mean by "7 corresponds to 49000) 57 and 1/7 equals 399/7+ 1/7= 400/7 so you have (400/7)(49000)/100= 400(70)= 28000.
I'm not sure this is the correct calculation. The OP is not a native speaker of English, so might not have made an exact translation of the problem.

My reasoning is that in asking for the simple interest for the second year, it's possible that the principal (note spelling) at the start of the second year includes the interest earned in the first year. If so, this is really a problem about compound interest. If the problem really is about simple interest, then the interest earned each year will be the same, so I don't understand why the problem asked specifically about the second year, rather than the interest earned each year.

Likes scottdave
Mark44 said:
I'm not sure this is the correct calculation. The OP is not a native speaker of English, so might not have made an exact translation of the problem.

My reasoning is that in asking for the simple interest for the second year, it's possible that the principal (note spelling) at the start of the second year includes the interest earned in the first year. If so, this is really a problem about compound interest. If the problem really is about simple interest, then the interest earned each year will be the same, so I don't understand why the problem asked specifically about the second year, rather than the interest earned each year.
Yes, it is conceivable that the OP posted the wrong problem. But I don't see how we can assume that! The OP specifically said "simple interest". I believe him!

Related to Finding the Simple Interest for a specific year

What is Simple Interest?

Simple Interest is the amount of money earned or paid on a principal amount for a specific period of time, without taking into account any compounding interest.

How is Simple Interest calculated?

Simple Interest is calculated by multiplying the principal amount, interest rate, and time period (in years). The formula is: Simple Interest = (Principal amount) x (Interest Rate) x (Time period).

What is the difference between Simple Interest and Compound Interest?

Simple Interest is calculated only on the principal amount, whereas Compound Interest is calculated on both the principal amount and any accumulated interest from previous periods.

Can Simple Interest be negative?

No, Simple Interest cannot be negative. It is always a positive value that represents the amount of money earned or paid on a principal amount.

How can I use Simple Interest to calculate the total amount of money owed?

To calculate the total amount owed, you can add the Simple Interest to the principal amount. This will give you the total amount of money that needs to be paid back, including the interest earned or paid.