Finding the sides of a trapedzoid using only Angles and perimeter

In summary, the conversation discusses a trapezoid with a perimeter of 180 inches and base angles of ∏/3. The knowns are the perimeter and base angles, while the unknowns are the lengths of the base and slanted sides, as well as the relationship between the two. The attempt at a solution involves breaking the trapezoid into two right triangles and a rectangle, using trigonometric equations to find the length ratios of the sides. The conversation concludes by discussing the possibility of finding the unknown sides without using a guess and check method, and clarifies the values of x and y.
Dramen

Homework Statement

My knowns are: the trapezoid has a perimeter equal to 180 inches
and it's base angles are ∏/3

The unknowns are: the lengths of the base (x) and the length of one of the slanted sides (y)
as well as the relationship between x and y

Homework Equations

Trig equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I pretty much split up the trapezoid into 2 right triangles and a rectangle. The triangle creates a 30-60-90 right triangle giving me the length ratios of the sides. This is where I hit my dead end because I have no idea how to find the lengths of the triangles without a single length of any of the triangle's sides. My friend was able to guess and check the correct lengths of x=75 inches and y=30 inches.

I want to know if it's possible to find any of the unknown sides without having to resort to a guess and check method. Also I'm not sure, when it says to deduce a relationship between x and y if it means to create some sort of formula that relates them or something.

Any insight on this is appreciated and thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dramen said:

Homework Statement

My knowns are: the trapezoid has a perimeter equal to 180 inches
and it's base angles are ∏/3

The unknowns are: the lengths of the base (x) and the length of one of the slanted sides (y)
as well as the relationship between x and y

Homework Equations

Trig equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I pretty much split up the trapezoid into 2 right triangles and a rectangle. The triangle creates a 30-60-90 right triangle giving me the length ratios of the sides. This is where I hit my dead end because I have no idea how to find the lengths of the triangles without a single length of any of the triangle's sides. My friend was able to guess and check the correct lengths of x=75 inches and y=30 inches.

I want to know if it's possible to find any of the unknown sides without having to resort to a guess and check method. Also I'm not sure, when it says to deduce a relationship between x and y if it means to create some sort of formula that relates them or something.

Any insight on this is appreciated and thanks in advance.

If you call the base of each of your triangles ##b## don't you see that ##b=y/2##? So you can get the top side in terms of ##x## and ##y##. So with all sides in terms of ##x## and ##y##, write the equation of the perimeter. I think you will find your friends answer is not the only one.

I don't completely get your answer, but then it maybe because I'm at fault for poor wording and that my x-value was off. My x=70 had a lapse in thinking for a bit and I may need to clarify what's x and y. The x unknown is the longer base of the trapezoid and the y unknown is the side of the trapezoid.

I broke down the trapezoid into 2 triangles and a single rectangle so that now my y is equal to the triangle's hypotenuse and the x is equal to y + the base of the rectangle on its (rectangle) longer side. The reason x=y + rectangle base is because the short-side of the triangle is equal to the hypotenuse/2 and that 2 would end up being canceled out because there are 2 equal triangles.

I'm sorry if I did not seem as clear, when I first posted my query.

Okay getting some time to look at it now I see your point and was able to simplify the expression down to [itex] x = 90 - y/2[/itex]

Dramen said:
Okay getting some time to look at it now I see your point and was able to simplify the expression down to [itex] x = 90 - y/2[/itex]

Correct.

Related to Finding the sides of a trapedzoid using only Angles and perimeter

1. How is the perimeter of a trapezoid related to its sides and angles?

The perimeter of a trapezoid is the sum of all its sides. This means that the perimeter can be calculated by adding the lengths of the four sides together.

2. Can the sides of a trapezoid be determined using only its angles and perimeter?

Yes, it is possible to find the lengths of the sides of a trapezoid using its angles and perimeter. This can be done by solving a system of equations that involves the angles and the perimeter.

3. What information about the trapezoid is needed to find the lengths of its sides?

To find the lengths of the sides of a trapezoid using its angles and perimeter, you will need to know the values of all four angles and the perimeter of the trapezoid.

4. What is the formula for finding the length of a side of a trapezoid using its angles and perimeter?

The formula for finding the length of a side of a trapezoid using its angles and perimeter is:
s = (p - a - b) / cos(angle)
where s is the length of the side, p is the perimeter, a and b are the adjacent sides, and angle is the angle between those sides.

5. Can I use this method to find the lengths of sides of any trapezoid?

Yes, this method can be used to find the lengths of sides of any trapezoid, as long as the values of all four angles and the perimeter are known. The formula will work for both right and non-right trapezoids.