Finding the scattering cross section

In summary: The second method does not have this fault because the differential equation is solved directly and the given ## \sigma ## is used to find the value of ## n ## that makes the computed ## \sigma_{total}=n \sigma L ## match the given ## \sigma_{total} ##. The first method uses a geometric sum to approximate the same result. Geometric sums are not always reliable for accuracy. They converge only when the ratio of successive terms is small. This does not happen for large ## L ##. The second method does not have this fault because it is based on the exact differential equation.In summary, the experiment involving thermal neutrons and a 2mm thick foil of 197Au showed that
Muthumanimaran

Homework Statement

In an experiment carried out with a beam of thermal neutrons it is found that on traversing a 2mm thick foil of 197Au, some 70% of the neutrons are removed. What is the total thermal neutron cross-section for this isotope of gold? Comment on the result of the cross-section measurement in the light of the fact that the radius of a gold nucleus is
6.5 x 10-15 m. (Density of gold: 19300 kg m-3)
Question is from this link #chap1http://physics-database.group.shef.ac.uk/phy303/303prob1.html#chap1

Homework Equations

$$\frac{R_s}{R_i}=\frac{N_{A}L{\rho}{\sigma}}{A{\times}10^{-3}}$$
$\frac{R_s}{R_i}$ is fraction scattered
A is mass number
L is thickness
$\rho$ is density

The Attempt at a Solution

I simply substituted the values in the above expression
$$0.7=\frac{6.02{\times}10^{23}{\times}(2{\times}10^{-3}){\times}(19300){\times}{\sigma}}{197{\times}10^{-3}}$$

And finally got $ \sigma = 59.32{\times}10^{-28} $ or 59 Barns but the actual answer turns out to be 102 Barns. where did made the mistake, I re did the problem but getting same answer for cross section

Likes Charles Link
Physics news on Phys.org
I also got your same answer on the first attempt, but then made the observation that the formula you used for the fraction absorbed only holds accurately when the fraction absorbed is small. The problem involves an exponential drop in intensity of the beam as it traverses the 2mm foil: ## I(x)=I_o exp^{-n \sigma x} ## with ## \frac{I(L)}{I_o}=.3 ##.(70% absorption means 30% survived). Solving this gives ## n \sigma L=ln(10/3)=1.20 ## where ## n=(\rho N_A)/(A.W.) ##.(The 1.20 basically replaces the .7 in the formula that you used to solve it in the way that you did. 1.20/.7=102/59) ## \\ ## Editing: Notice in this second method we used ## -ln(1-.7)=1.2 ## . Now ## ln(1-x)=-x ## approximately for x<<1, but .7 was too large to give the result that ## -ln(1-.7)=.7 ##, thereby the simplified formula of the first method gave an inaccurate result.

Last edited:
Likes Muthumanimaran
In the previous problem, it should be recognized that the intensity ## I ## satisfies the differential equation ## \frac{dI(x)}{dx}=-n \sigma I(x) ##. What is happening in this case is scatterers/blockers of area ## \sigma ## can each block the beam, but if ## A ## is the area of the target with thickness ## L ##, the total scattering cross section ## \sigma_{total} ## can not get any larger than the area ## A ##. For the first method of solving the problem, the total scattering cross section is computed to be ## \sigma_{total}=n \sigma V =n \sigma A L##. This calculation does not account for possible overlap in the areas that are getting blocked, and ultimately the computed ## \sigma_{total} ## will become larger than ## A ## by this method as ## L ## becomes large.

Related to Finding the scattering cross section

What is the scattering cross section?

The scattering cross section is a measure of how likely a particle or wave is to scatter when it interacts with another particle or wave. It is typically represented by the symbol σ and is measured in units of area.

Why is the scattering cross section important in science?

The scattering cross section is important because it helps us understand the behavior of particles and waves in various environments. It is used in many fields of science, including physics, chemistry, astronomy, and meteorology.

How is the scattering cross section calculated?

The scattering cross section is calculated by taking the ratio of the number of scattered particles or waves to the incident particles or waves, and then dividing by the target area. This can be a complicated calculation and often requires advanced mathematical techniques.

What factors affect the value of the scattering cross section?

The value of the scattering cross section is influenced by several factors, including the properties of the particles or waves involved, the angle of incidence, and the properties of the medium in which the scattering occurs. The size and shape of the target also play a role in determining the scattering cross section.

How is the scattering cross section used in experiments and research?

The scattering cross section is used in experiments and research to measure and analyze the behavior of particles and waves. It can help scientists understand the composition and structure of materials, as well as the interactions between particles and waves. It is also used to make predictions and calculations in various scientific fields.