Finding the safe rotational speed of a carousel?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of designing a braking system for a carousel and determining the maximum rotational speed that is safe for riders. The maximum diameter of the surface is 2 meters and the maximum speed at the periphery should not exceed 5m/s according to standards. The conversation also delves into calculating the speed at which a person would be thrown off the carousel, taking into account the friction force between the floor and the person's feet. There is a discrepancy in the safe speed determined by the standards and the calculated speed, questioning the accuracy of the standards.
MarkH748
Hi,

I'm currently working on a project for a braking system of a carousel. Basically in order to start designing the brake I need to know what the maximum rotational speed of the carousel should be. The max diameter of the surface will be 2 meters and the maximum speed at the periphery should not be greater than 5m/s from standards. However as the diameter gets smaller and smaller the rotational speed will still increase taking these standards.

What I want to do is work out the speed that will throw someone off the carousel using maybe the centrifugal force or some such method. I assume that this is most likely on the outside of the circle? (i.e. max radius of 1). I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to how I would calculate this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming the person is not holding onto a pole (or a horse), then the critical case is when the person is standing at the edge of the circle, where the centripetal acceleration is the greatest, and where the only force capable of providing that acceleration is the friction force between the floor of the carousel and the person's shoes (or feet, if barefoot, etc.). I imagine that the safe speed of a carousel assumes a rather low friction value, especially in consideration of the unseated ticket taker worker. In your example, using your 5m/s tangential speed at the periphery, the centripetal acceleration for a 1 m radius would be v^2/r = 25m/s^2, implying a friction coefficient of 2.5, which is way higher than the friction coefficient between the feet and the surface, meaning that the person would fly off at that speed. So I would question that 5m/s value you got from "Standards".

Related to Finding the safe rotational speed of a carousel?

1. What is the definition of safe rotational speed for a carousel?

The safe rotational speed for a carousel is the maximum speed at which the carousel can rotate without causing harm or danger to its riders or structure. This speed is determined by various factors such as the size and weight of the carousel, the materials used, and safety regulations.

2. How is the safe rotational speed of a carousel calculated?

The safe rotational speed of a carousel is typically calculated using mathematical formulas that take into account the weight and dimensions of the carousel and its components, as well as the forces acting on it during rotation. These calculations are then compared to safety standards and regulations to determine a safe speed range for the carousel.

3. What are the main factors that affect the safe rotational speed of a carousel?

The main factors that affect the safe rotational speed of a carousel include the weight and size of the carousel, the materials used in its construction, the type and number of riders, and the forces acting on the carousel during rotation. Other factors such as wind and weather conditions may also impact the safe rotational speed.

4. Why is it important to determine the safe rotational speed of a carousel?

Determining the safe rotational speed of a carousel is crucial for ensuring the safety of its riders and preventing accidents or malfunctions. Exceeding the safe rotational speed can put excessive strain on the carousel's structure and components, potentially leading to mechanical failures or injuries to riders. It is the responsibility of the carousel operator to adhere to the safe rotational speed to ensure the well-being of their customers.

5. How often should the safe rotational speed of a carousel be evaluated?

The safe rotational speed of a carousel should be evaluated regularly, especially after any modifications or changes to the carousel's design or components. It is also recommended to have the carousel inspected and evaluated by a professional engineer at least once a year to ensure that it is still operating within the safe rotational speed range.