Did I Break My Flyback Transformer? How to Fix It

• Thread starter kyle_soule
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transformer
In summary, the conversation involved a person breaking a piece of their monitor's flyback and questioning whether it was necessary or not. They also mentioned using a neon-light tester to check the flyback's functionality and receiving mixed results. Another person suggested using adhesive to repair the broken piece.
kyle_soule
Well, I didn't know where to post this...but it's here now:)

I removed a flyback from my colour monitor and after removing it I succeeded in breaking what seems to be (or closely connected to) the ferrite core. It is a metallic (I think, it is cold to the touch) piece, black on mine, in the shape of a U with a metal clamp holding it tight, it is on the outside of the flyback, my question is, did I break the flyback? or just a piece that wasn't necessary.

I put the CRT HV connector in one hole on the monitor plug in and one end of a neon-light tester in the other hole, and then put the other end of the tester on the one lead of the flyback, now I got a light to light up, as if it was good. The tester has 3 lights and one top "thing" (I say thing because I'm not exactly sure what it is) and only the bottom light comes on, the same as if I plugged it into a wall plug.

Physics news on Phys.org
kyle_soule,
Sounds like a screw up to me
you can check this link for information;

http://www.powerlabs.org/flybackdriver.htm

I will tell you what might work; Don't put glue on the broken areas, but press them together tightly and find a clever way to glue it on the sides.
PS I'm a real whiz with adhesive repairs and you can PM me if you need more detail.
Best of luck to you.

First of all, I want to commend you for seeking help and trying to fix the issue yourself. It takes a lot of courage and determination to do so, especially when it comes to electronic components like a flyback transformer.

Based on your description, it is possible that you may have damaged the ferrite core or a closely connected piece while removing the flyback transformer. However, it is difficult to say for sure without seeing the actual damage.

As for the test you conducted with the neon-light tester, it is not a foolproof way to determine if the flyback is still functional. It is always best to use a multimeter to test the resistance and continuity of the transformer. If the readings are within the expected range, then the flyback is most likely still functional.

If you are not experienced with repairing electronics, it is best to seek professional help or replace the flyback transformer entirely. Attempting to fix it without proper knowledge and tools can be dangerous and may cause further damage.

In the future, it is important to handle electronic components with care and follow proper procedures when removing them. This can help prevent accidents and damage to the components.

I hope this helps and good luck with fixing your flyback transformer.

1. What is a Flyback Transformer?

A Flyback Transformer, also known as Line Output Transformer (LOPT), is a type of high voltage transformer commonly used in television sets and other electronic devices. It is responsible for converting the low voltage AC input to high voltage DC output needed to power the cathode ray tube (CRT) in older televisions.

2. How does a Flyback Transformer work?

A Flyback Transformer works by storing energy in its primary winding when the input voltage is applied. When the input voltage is suddenly removed, the stored energy causes a high voltage spike in the secondary winding, which is then rectified and used to power the CRT.

3. What are the key components of a Flyback Transformer?

The key components of a Flyback Transformer include the primary winding, the secondary winding, the ferrite core, and the diode. The primary winding is where the input voltage is applied, and the secondary winding is where the high voltage output is generated. The ferrite core is used to store energy, and the diode is responsible for rectifying the high voltage output.

4. What are the main applications of Flyback Transformers?

Flyback Transformers are mainly used in CRT televisions, but they also have applications in other electronic devices such as computer monitors, oscilloscopes, and high voltage power supplies. They are also used in some modern devices, such as LED TVs and electronic ballasts.

5. What are the safety precautions to consider when working with Flyback Transformers?

Flyback Transformers can store high levels of energy, which can be dangerous if not handled properly. It is important to discharge the transformer before working on it and to always use insulated tools. Also, the high voltage output of the transformer can be lethal, so it is crucial to follow proper safety procedures and wear protective gear when working with it.