Finding the Right Petroleum Engineering College for Career Goals

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in transferring to a petroleum engineering college and their questions regarding which universities are prioritized by big oil companies for recruitment, potential benefits of attending a petroleum engineering university in a specific location, and opportunities for field work in different states and internationally. The expert summarizer provides a list of recommended universities and states with high potential for field work opportunities, and notes that graduating from any US or Canadian university qualifies one to work internationally. It is also suggested to choose courses or majors that involve more field work to increase likelihood of being recruited for such positions.
alchemist007
I am looking to transfer to a petroleum engineering college. I am not sure which ones I should apply for. So I have a few questions:

Which petroleum engineering universities do the big oil companies like Exxon, Shell, Chevron and BP prioritize their recruiting from?

Also, for example, if I wanted to work in Alaska would it be beneficial for me to go to a petrol engineering university in Alaska? For instance, if I wanted to work in Alaska would it be more likely an oil company hire me for a position in Alaska if I go to Alaska University? Or if I want to work in Texas would it be less likely I get hired for a job in Texas if I go to Alaska university?

Separately, let's say I wanted to work internationally, for example in the Middle east or central Asia which schools or companies should I be looking at?

And also I would prefer doing field work oppose to desk work.
What can I do now as far as which universities I should apply for in insuring I have a higher likely hood of being recruited for field work?

Which states have a lot of field work opportunities.

Thank you very much to who ever helps to answer my questions. This is a very important time and these decisions are difficult to make if I do not have all the facts.

Physics news on Phys.org

alchemist007 said:
I am looking to transfer to a petroleum engineering college. I am not sure which ones I should apply for. So I have a few questions:

Which petroleum engineering universities do the big oil companies like Exxon, Shell, Chevron and BP prioritize their recruiting from? Such companies would usually recruit from universities in areas of heavy oil reserves such as in Texas, Ok, Wyoming, Calgary, Edmonton or SK in Canada. So Universities such as Texas A&M, UT Austin, Texas Tech, Montana Tech, Uni OK, Uni of Calgary, Uni of Alberta, Uni of Regina, would do the job for u.

Also, for example, if I wanted to work in Alaska would it be beneficial for me to go to a petrol engineering university in Alaska? For instance, if I wanted to work in Alaska would it be more likely an oil company hire me for a position in Alaska if I go to Alaska University? Or if I want to work in Texas would it be less likely I get hired for a job in Texas if I go to Alaska university? It all depends on the location of the job, the location of the uni doesn't really matter.
Separately, let's say I wanted to work internationally, for example in the Middle east or central Asia which schools or companies should I be looking at? As long as u graduate from any US or Canadian Uni, u are abosultely qualified to work anywhere in the world!
And also I would prefer doing field work oppose to desk work.
What can I do now as far as which universities I should apply for in insuring I have a higher likely hood of being recruited for field work?
Then u can choose courses or majors that involves more field work.
Which states have a lot of field work opportunities. Mainly those in Edmonton and those in Alasaka and Texas.
Thank you very much to who ever helps to answer my questions. This is a very important time and these decisions are difficult to make if I do not have all the facts.

Answers are in bold as listed above.

Related to Finding the Right Petroleum Engineering College for Career Goals

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a petroleum engineering college?

When looking for the right petroleum engineering college, there are several factors to consider. These include the program's accreditation, the faculty's expertise and experience, the school's industry partnerships, the availability of hands-on experience and internships, and the location of the school.

2. How important is accreditation for a petroleum engineering program?

Accreditation is crucial for a petroleum engineering program as it ensures that the program meets industry standards and is recognized by employers. It also indicates that the program has been evaluated and deemed to provide a quality education.

3. What kind of hands-on experience can I expect from a petroleum engineering program?

Petroleum engineering programs typically offer hands-on experience through laboratory work, field trips, and industry projects. Students may also have the opportunity to participate in internships or co-op programs, which provide real-world experience and industry connections.

4. How important is the location of the college for a petroleum engineering career?

The location of the college can play a significant role in a petroleum engineering career. It's essential to consider the proximity to major oil and gas companies, as well as the availability of internships, networking opportunities, and job prospects in the area.

5. What resources does the college offer to help students with their career goals?

Many petroleum engineering colleges offer resources such as career centers, job fairs, and networking events to help students with their career goals. They may also have alumni networks and connections with industry professionals that can provide valuable mentorship and job opportunities for students.