Finding the resultant of two forces in 3d

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the resultant of two forces in an image. The components of the forces are broken down and there are discrepancies in the calculations. The direction of force P and Q in the x and z planes are also discussed, with incorrect calculations for the projection of Q onto the x-z plane. Finally, there is a mention of potentially confusing calculations by another user.
CivilSigma
Hi, For the following image, we have to calculate the resultant of those two forces. I have broken them down to their components. Did I do this correctly because when I actually solve for the force I am not getting the correct answer of 940N in the back of my book.

Also, I tried calculating the direction of force P in the x plane , Q in the z plane and when I used the cosine formula I got
cos^2 theta = -0.4 ( a negative number) does that imply that our vector does not exist in the x plane and therefore is 0 for P? and 0 for Q in the z plane?

s5924p.jpg

2hx14zn.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
The photograph does not clearly define the vectors, far as I can see.

They are not defined by x,y,z co-ordinates but by their coordinate angles?

sakonpure6 said:
They are not defined by x,y,z co-ordinates but by their coordinate angles?

Yeah, but the angles are not well defined as I see it. It's not clear whether the angles are with the x, y or z axes. Maybe with some effort I could figure it out, but a verbal description would have been a big help.

sakonpure6 said:
Hi, For the following image, we have to calculate the resultant of those two forces. I have broken them down to their components. Did I do this correctly because when I actually solve for the force I am not getting the correct answer of 940N in the back of my book.

Also, I tried calculating the direction of force P in the x plane , Q in the z plane and when I used the cosine formula I got
cos^2 theta = -0.4 ( a negative number) does that imply that our vector does not exist in the x plane and therefore is 0 for P? and 0 for Q in the z plane?

s5924p.jpg

2hx14zn.jpg

Your calculations show the Qx = Q cos 30. This is incorrect. The projection of Q onto the x-z plane makes an angle of 30 degrees to the x-axis.
The magnitude of the projection of Q onto the x-z plane is not equal to the magnitude of Q.

Your calculation of Qy is correct.

You have a similar situation with the force P. The projection of P onto the x-z plane makes an angle of 25 degrees to the z-axis.
Again, the magnitude of the projection of P onto the x-z plane is not equal to the magnitude of P.

Likes CivilSigma
Doesn't look too confusing but I think...

Qx = 450*Cos55*Cos30
Qz = 450*Cos55*Cos60

Haven't checked them all.

Cross posted with the reply by Steamking.

Likes CivilSigma

Related to Finding the resultant of two forces in 3d

1. What is the definition of resultant force?

The resultant force is the single force that has the same effect as a system of multiple forces acting on an object. It is the vector sum of all the forces acting on the object.

2. How do you find the resultant force in 3D?

To find the resultant force in 3D, you will need to use vector addition. This involves finding the x, y, and z components of each force and adding them together to find the resultant vector. You can then use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude and trigonometry to find the direction of the resultant force.

3. What is the difference between the resultant force and the net force?

The resultant force is the vector sum of all the forces acting on an object, while the net force is the overall force acting on the object after taking into account the direction and magnitude of all the forces. The net force can be equal to, greater than, or less than the resultant force depending on the direction and magnitude of the forces.

4. Can the resultant force be zero?

Yes, the resultant force can be zero if all the forces acting on the object are balanced and cancel each other out. This means that the object will be in a state of equilibrium and will not experience any acceleration.

5. What are some real-life examples of finding the resultant force in 3D?

Some examples of finding the resultant force in 3D include calculating the force on a plane in flight due to the lift and drag forces acting on it, determining the force exerted on a bridge by the weight of the cars and trucks passing over it, and finding the force needed to lift an object with multiple ropes attached to it.