Finding the Resistance of a cone

In summary, the problem involves finding the total resistance of a solid truncated cone with given dimensions and resistivity. The cone can be divided into a stack of pancake-shaped resistors in series, with varying radius. To solve this, an integral needs to be set up with the bounds of 0 to h, and a formula for the dependence of pancake radius on x needs to be derived. This can be done by considering the cone as being made up of discs with radii that change from (0,a) to (h,b). The resulting formula for radius would be pi((b-a)/h)x + a)^2. Once this formula is obtained, it can be integrated and multiplied by the resistivity to find the total resistance
aximwolf

Homework Statement

A solid truncated cone is made of a material of resistivity 5.10 Ohm*m. The cone has a height h = 1.16 m, and radii a = 0.34 m and b = 0.84 m. Assuming that the direction of current is parallel to the axis of the cylinder, what is the total resistance for this cone? (Use "Ohm" as your units.)

prob09.gif

Hint: You have to do an integral. Regard the cone as made of a stack of pancake-shaped resistors (of varying radius) in series. The thickness of each pancake is dx and you integrate from x = 0 to x = h. You need to work out a formula for the dependence of pancake radius r on x.

Homework Equations

R= rho*L/A
Where rho=resistivity

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that to find the resistance I need some Length divided by area of each infinite number of resistant pancake shape discs through the cone. The bounds of the integral are going to be 0 to h but I am not sure what to integrate. I know that both radius and area are changing but I am not sure how to integrate that. I know that rho is a constant so it can be taken out of the integral and will be multiplied to the result of the integral.

Please help me find the formula that relates dx to radius so that I can integrate that and than multiply it by the resistivity to get the resistance of the cone.

Physics news on Phys.org
never mind i found that (0,a) and (h,b). The radius than equals pi((b-a/h)x +a)^2. Now i can easily set up the integral.

Related to Finding the Resistance of a cone

What is the resistance of a cone?

The resistance of a cone refers to the measure of how much the cone resists the flow of electricity or heat through it. It is typically measured in ohms (Ω).

How can the resistance of a cone be calculated?

The resistance of a cone can be calculated using the formula R = ρL/A, where R is resistance, ρ is the resistivity of the material, L is the length of the cone, and A is the cross-sectional area of the cone.

What factors affect the resistance of a cone?

The resistance of a cone is affected by the material it is made of, its length and cross-sectional area, and the temperature of the cone. As the length and cross-sectional area increase, the resistance also increases. Similarly, as the temperature increases, the resistance also increases.

What is the role of resistivity in finding the resistance of a cone?

Resistivity is a measure of how much a material resists the flow of electricity. It is an important factor in calculating the resistance of a cone, as different materials have different resistivities, which can affect the overall resistance of the cone.

Why is it important to find the resistance of a cone?

Knowing the resistance of a cone is important in many practical applications, such as designing electrical circuits or calculating heat transfer in engineering systems. It also helps in understanding the behavior of different materials and how they respond to the flow of electricity or heat.