Finding the range of rational functions algebraically

In summary, to find the range of rational functions algebraically, one can solve for the variable in terms of the range and determine the existence of the range by solving the resulting inequality. In this specific example, for the function f(x) = \frac{1}{x^2-4}, we have found that the range is everything except the interval (-1/4, 0] and that the range is greater than 0. This can also help in finding the maxima and minima of the function, which is useful in understanding the behavior of the function.
vrmuth
how to find the range of rational functions like f(x) = [itex]\frac{1}{{x}^{2}-4}[/itex] algebraically , i graphed it and seen that (-1/4,0] can not be in range . generally i am interested in how to find the range of functions and rational functions in particular

Mathematics news on Phys.org
How do you think it might relate to the maxima and minima of the function? Where are those for your example?

haruspex said:
How do you think it might relate to the maxima and minima of the function? Where are those for your example?

yes i got those points by differentiating but can't we find it without using derivatives ? i mean any algebraic method ?

vrmuth said:
yes i got those points by differentiating but can't we find it without using derivatives ? i mean any algebraic method ?

I can't think of any algebraic methods, and if I were to use logical reasoning, it would still involve some kind of crude link to limits and derivatives.

By inspection |x| = 2 is critical and x = 0 is a local minimum.

mathman said:
By inspection |x| = 2 is critical and x = 0 is a local minimum.

minimum ? it's max. there is no minmimum for this function .but how can i find the range though ? i mean how it's useful to find out the range exactly ?

Last edited:
vrmuth said:
minimum ? it's max. there is no minmimum for this function .but how can i find the range though ? i mean how it's useful to find out the range exactly ?

You're right. It is local max (-1/4). As |x| -> 2 from below, f(x) -> -∞. However |x| -> 2 from above, f -> +∞. Finally as |x| -> ∞, f -> 0.

Net result: range has two parts (-∞,-1/4) for |x| < 2, and (0,+∞) for |x| > 2.

I took a little while to think about it, and yes, there is an algebraic solution to the problem.

For the function

[tex]y=\frac{1}{x^2-4}[/tex]

let the range be denoted R, which is also the y-value, so we have

[tex]R=\frac{1}{x^2-4}[/tex]

Now, we want to solve for x:

[tex]Rx^2-4R=1[/tex]

[tex]x^2=\frac{1+4R}{R}[/tex]

[tex]x=\pm\sqrt{\frac{1+4R}{R}}[/tex]

Now, x exists (and thus a correspondent range exist) whenever

[tex]\frac{1+4R}{R}\geq 0[/tex]

and clearly the opposite of that is, if

[tex]\frac{1+4R}{R}< 0[/tex]

then the domain does not exist, thus the range does not exist.

Now, if we solve this inequality, for R>0 (we can see that [itex]R\neq 0[/itex])

[tex]1+4R<0[/tex]

[tex]R<\frac{-1}{4}[/tex]

And we obviously can't have that both R>0 and [itex]R<\frac{-1}{4}[/itex] so we scrap that. Now if R<0

[tex]1+4R>0[/tex]

[tex]R>\frac{-1}{4}[/tex]

Which gives us the intersection [tex]\frac{-1}{4}<R<0[/tex] as required.

Mentallic said:
I took a little while to think about it, and yes, there is an algebraic solution to the problem.

For the function

[tex]Rx^2-4R=1[/tex]

Now, if we solve this inequality, for R>0 (we can see that [itex]R\neq 0[/itex])

[tex]1+4R<0[/tex]

And we obviously can't have that both R>0 and [itex]R<\frac{-1}{4}[/itex] so we scrap that. Now if R<0

[tex]1+4R>0[/tex]

There are no values of x where -1/4 < y < 0. As I have indicated, the range is everything but this interval.

mathman said:
There are no values of x where -1/4 < y < 0. As I have indicated, the range is everything but this interval.

In my solution I wrote

Mentallic said:

[tex]\frac{1+4R}{R}< 0[/tex].

Mentallic said:

For the function

[tex]Rx^2-4R=1[/tex]

[tex]1+4R<0[/tex]

[tex]1+4R>0[/tex]

can u please explain to me how did u reach the conclusion that R will be greater than zero? solving the inequality only yields R>-1/4

UnD3R0aTh said:
can u please explain to me how did u reach the conclusion that R will be greater than zero? solving the inequality only yields R>-1/4

I had written that precisely a year ago :biggrin:

Since [itex]-1/4 < R < 0[/itex] is where the range of the function does not exist, everything else is where the range does exist.

So the range is
[itex]y> 0 \cup y\leq -1/4[/itex]

(edit: [itex]y\neq 0[/itex] because we can't divide by 0)

If there's something in my earlier solution that you don't understand, just point it out.

Last edited:
lol well I'm glad u're still alive :P, yes there is something i do not get, the range of that function would be the domain of the inverse function correct? 1+4R/R > or equal to 0 will give us all the possible range correct?

solving this only gives us range bigger than -1/4, and range does not equal to 0, but as u already know this function has range above than zero, the question is how did u deduce that from the problem/inequality?

UnD3R0aTh said:
lol well I'm glad u're still alive :P, yes there is something i do not get, the range of that function would be the domain of the inverse function correct? 1+4R/R > or equal to 0 will give us all the possible range correct?

Yes and yes.

UnD3R0aTh said:
solving this only gives us range bigger than -1/4, and range does not equal to 0, but as u already know this function has range above than zero, the question is how did u deduce that from the problem/inequality?

Oh you're right about excluding R=0 from the solution, I missed that. You're not solving the inequality correctly though.

Remember that when you multiply through by R, if R<0 then you need to change the reverse the sign of the inequality

So for R>0
[itex]1+4R\geq 0[/itex]

but for R<0
[itex]1+4R\leq 0[/itex]

Now when you solve these two inequalities, you only keep the intersections that makes sense. For example, if we assume R<0 but then solve the inequality and find that R>1, there are no solutions for R such that both of these can hold true at the same time (we say that the intersection of the sets is the empty set). If however we assume R<0 and solve the inequality to find R>-1, then our solution set is -1<R<0.

Likes 1 person

Related to Finding the range of rational functions algebraically

1. What is a rational function?

A rational function is a mathematical function that can be expressed as a ratio of two polynomials. It can be written in the form f(x) = p(x)/q(x), where p(x) and q(x) are polynomials and q(x) is not equal to 0.

2. How do you find the range of a rational function algebraically?

To find the range of a rational function algebraically, we first need to determine the domain of the function by finding the values of x that make the denominator equal to 0. Then, we can use this domain to identify any vertical asymptotes or holes in the graph. Finally, we can use algebraic techniques to find the minimum and maximum values of the function within the given domain, which will give us the range.

3. What are some common algebraic techniques used to find the range of a rational function?

Some common algebraic techniques used to find the range of a rational function include factoring, finding the critical points (where the derivative is equal to 0), and using the first and second derivative tests to determine the nature of these critical points (whether they are local maxima or minima). You can also use a graphing calculator to visualize the function and determine the range.

4. Are there any restrictions on the values of x in a rational function?

Yes, there are restrictions on the values of x in a rational function. As mentioned earlier, the denominator cannot equal 0, since this would result in an undefined value. Additionally, the domain of a rational function may also be limited by the given problem or real-world application.

5. Can the range of a rational function be infinite?

Yes, the range of a rational function can be infinite. For example, if the function has a horizontal asymptote, the range will extend to positive or negative infinity. Additionally, the range can also be infinite if the function has a vertical asymptote, as the function will approach infinity as x approaches the vertical asymptote from one side.