Finding the Product of Roots of a Polynomial with Complex and Real Roots

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the product of the roots of a polynomial and using Vieta's formulas. The problem is solved by expressing the polynomial in terms of its roots and using symmetry to simplify the expression. The product is found to be -23 and the conversation ends with expressions of gratitude from the original poster.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Hi MHB,

It's me again...I find this problem to be very interesting yet very difficult to me. I tried to approach it using the Vieta's formula, knowing the given function $p(x)$ has only one real root and 4 complex roots, where I let the 4 complex roots be $a\pm bi$ and $c\pm di$, but it failed me. I start to think this must be a problem that is not compatible to my level and thus I post it here hoping to find someone who will be interested with it and solve it for me...:eek:

Thanks in advance!(Sun)

Problem:

Let \(\displaystyle p(x)=x^5+x^2+1\) have roots $r_1$, $r_2$, $r_3$, $r_4$, and $r_5$. Let \(\displaystyle q(x)=x^2-2\). Determine the product of \(\displaystyle q(r_1)\cdot q(r_2)\cdot q(r_3)\cdot q(r_4)\cdot q(r_5)\).

Mathematics news on Phys.org
anemone said:
Let \(\displaystyle p(x)=x^5+x^2+1\) have roots $r_1$, $r_2$, $r_3$, $r_4$, and $r_5$. Let \(\displaystyle q(x)=x^2-2\). Determine the product of \(\displaystyle q(r_1)\cdot q(r_2)\cdot q(r_3)\cdot q(r_4)\cdot q(r_5)\).
The product \(\displaystyle q(r_1)q(r_2)q(r_3)q(r_4)q(r_5)\) is a symmetric polynomial in $r_1,\dots,r_5$, and every symmetric polynomial can be expressed through elementary symmetric polynomials, which, in turn, can be expressed through the coefficients of $p(x)$ by the Vieta's formulas. Finding this expression is left as an exercise. (Smile)

anemone said:
If $y = x^2 - 2$ then $x = (y+2)^{1/2}$, and $x^5+x^2+1 = (y+2)^{5/2} + y+3$. So if $r_1,\ldots,r_5$ are the roots of $p(x)$ then $q(r_1),\ldots,q(r_5)$ are the roots of $(y+2)^{5/2} + y+3$. But if $(y+2)^{5/2} + y+3 = 0$ then $(y+2)^5 = (y+3)^2$, so that $y^5 + \ldots + (2^5-3^2) = 0$. The product of the roots of that polynomial is the negative of the constant term, namely $-(32-9) = -23.$

anemone said:
Hi MHB,

It's me again...I find this problem to be very interesting yet very difficult to me. I tried to approach it using the Vieta's formula, knowing the given function $p(x)$ has only one real root and 4 complex roots, where I let the 4 complex roots be $a\pm bi$ and $c\pm di$, but it failed me. I start to think this must be a problem that is not compatible to my level and thus I post it here hoping to find someone who will be interested with it and solve it for me...:eek:

Thanks in advance!(Sun)

Problem:

Is... $\displaystyle p(x) = \prod_{i=1}^{5} (x-r_{i})\ (1)$

... and... $\displaystyle q(x) = (x-\sqrt{2}) (x+\sqrt{2})\ (2)$

... so that... $\displaystyle \prod_{i=1}^{5} q(r_{i}) = \prod_{i=1}^{5} (r_{i} - \sqrt{2}) \prod_{i=1}^{5} (r_{i} + \sqrt{2}) = - p(\sqrt{2})\ p(-\sqrt{2}) = (3 - 2^{\frac{5}{2}})\ (3 + 2^{\frac{5}{2}}) = 9 - 32 = -23\ (3)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:
Evgeny.Makarov said:
The product \(\displaystyle q(r_1)q(r_2)q(r_3)q(r_4)q(r_5)\) is a symmetric polynomial in $r_1,\dots,r_5$, and every symmetric polynomial can be expressed through elementary symmetric polynomials, which, in turn, can be expressed through the coefficients of $p(x)$ by the Vieta's formulas. Finding this expression is left as an exercise. (Smile)

Opalg said:
If $y = x^2 - 2$ then $x = (y+2)^{1/2}$, and $x^5+x^2+1 = (y+2)^{5/2} + y+3$. So if $r_1,\ldots,r_5$ are the roots of $p(x)$ then $q(r_1),\ldots,q(r_5)$ are the roots of $(y+2)^{5/2} + y+3$. But if $(y+2)^{5/2} + y+3 = 0$ then $(y+2)^5 = (y+3)^2$, so that $y^5 + \ldots + (2^5-3^2) = 0$. The product of the roots of that polynomial is the negative of the constant term, namely $-(32-9) = -23.$

chisigma said:
Is... $\displaystyle p(x) = \prod_{i=1}^{5} (x-r_{i})\ (1)$

... and... $\displaystyle q(x) = (x-\sqrt{2}) (x+\sqrt{2})\ (2)$

... so that... $\displaystyle \prod_{i=1}^{5} q(r_{i}) = \prod_{i=1}^{5} (r_{i} - \sqrt{2}) \prod_{i=1}^{5} (r_{i} + \sqrt{2}) = - p(\sqrt{2})\ p(\sqrt{2}) = (3 - 2^{\frac{5}{2}})\ (3 + 2^{\frac{5}{2}}) = 9 - 32 = -23\ (3)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Thank you, Evgeny.Makarov, Opalg and chisigma for the reply!

I truly appreciate the three of you taking the time out to reply to this thread because I learned a great deal from the replies...

I love you guys!(Inlove)

Related to Finding the Product of Roots of a Polynomial with Complex and Real Roots

1. What is the purpose of determining the product value?

Determining the product value is crucial for businesses to understand the worth of their products and make informed decisions about pricing, marketing, and production.

2. How is the product value determined?

The product value is determined by considering various factors such as production costs, market demand, competition, and perceived value by consumers. Market research and analysis play a significant role in determining the product value.

3. Is the product value the same as the product price?

No, the product value and price are not the same. The product value is the perceived worth of a product, while the product price is the amount of money a consumer pays to purchase the product. The product value may influence the product price, but they are not interchangeable terms.

4. Can the product value change over time?

Yes, the product value can change over time. Factors such as changes in production costs, market demand, and consumer preferences can affect the product value. It is essential for businesses to regularly reassess the product value to stay competitive in the market.

5. How can businesses use the product value to their advantage?

By determining the product value, businesses can set a competitive price, target the right market segment, and improve their marketing strategies. It can also help in identifying areas for cost-cutting and product improvement to increase the product's perceived value and ultimately drive sales and profits.