Finding the probability to find a particle in a well

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the probability of a particle in the n=1 state of an infinite square well with size L being in the region Δx = 0.007L at points x=L/2 and 3L/4. The equations used are ψ = Δxf(x), Δx = 0.007L, and f(x) = sin2(nπx/L). The conversation also includes confusion over the correct answer for 3L/4 and requests for clarification on the mathematical approach.
Vitani11

Homework Statement

A particle is in the n = 1 state of an infinite square well of size L. T. What is the probability to find the particle in the region Δx = 0.007L at the point x = L/2? 3L/4? (Since Δx is small you don't need to do any integration)

Homework Equations

ψ = Δxf(x)
Δx = 0.007L
f(x) = sin2(nπx/L)

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I can do the integral but I can't do this without doing the integral. I plugged in L/2 for Δx and x = L/2 for f(x) = sin2(nπx/L). This gave me the correct answer for L/2. But now I am trying to do 3L/4 and when I use the same method I get the wrong answer. I know the RIGHT answer is 0.007 for 3L/4 because of the nature of sine and a drawing of the wave-function in the well. I need to know how to properly do this mathematically- what am I doing wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show more detail of your work for x = 3L/4? Make sure that you are using the normalized wavefunction for the ground state.

Likes Vitani11
I've figured it out - thank you

Related to Finding the probability to find a particle in a well

1. What is a particle in a well?

A particle in a well refers to a theoretical model in quantum mechanics where a particle is confined to a specific region, such as a potential well. This model is often used to study the behavior and properties of subatomic particles.

2. How is the probability of finding a particle in a well calculated?

The probability of finding a particle in a well is calculated using the wave function, which describes the probability amplitude of the particle at a certain position. The square of the wave function gives the probability density, which is used to determine the likelihood of finding the particle at a given location.

3. What factors affect the probability of finding a particle in a well?

The probability of finding a particle in a well is influenced by the size and shape of the well, as well as the energy of the particle. The potential energy barrier around the well also plays a role in determining the probability of finding the particle in a certain location.

4. Can the probability of finding a particle in a well be greater than 1?

No, the probability of finding a particle in a well cannot be greater than 1. This is because the total probability of finding the particle in any location within the well is equal to 1. However, the probability can be very close to 1, indicating a high likelihood of finding the particle in a specific location.

5. How does the probability of finding a particle in a well change over time?

The probability of finding a particle in a well is dynamic and can change over time. This is due to the wave-like nature of particles, which can cause the wave function to spread out and change over time. As a result, the probability of finding the particle in a specific location can also change over time.