Finding the possible frequencies of a tuning fork

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the possible frequencies of a tuning fork placed near a fixed wire vibrating under tension. The first equation is used to find the frequency of the wire, and the second equation is used to determine the possible frequencies of the tuning fork based on the given beat frequency. The final answer is 50.4 and 55.5 Hz.
chris097

Homework Statement

A 0.0120 kg, 2.05 m long wire is fixed at both ends and vibrates in its simplest mode under a tension of 202 N. When a tuning fork is placed near the wire, a beat frequency of 5.10 Hz is heard. What are the possible frequencies of the tuning fork? (enter the smaller frequency first) (It asks for 2 answers)

Homework Equations

f = √(TL/m)/2L
fb = |f1 - f2|

The Attempt at a Solution

I first found the frequency of the string using equation 1 then I simply thought that the frequency of the tuning fork would always be multiples of 5.10 Hz from the frequency of the fork. So i got answers like 50.4, 50.5...

Can anyone please help out?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Just use the second equation you listed in section 2. you know [itex] f_b [/itex] and [itex] f_1 [/itex] so what can [itex] f_2 [/itex] be?

willem2 said:
Just use the second equation you listed in section 2. you know [itex] f_b [/itex] and [itex] f_1 [/itex] so what can [itex] f_2 [/itex] be?

I end up getting 50.4 and 55.5 Hz, which is wrong.

f - 5.1 and f + 5.1

Related to Finding the possible frequencies of a tuning fork

1. How do I determine the possible frequencies of a tuning fork?

To determine the possible frequencies of a tuning fork, you will need to know the length and thickness of the fork's prongs, as well as the material it is made of. Using this information, you can use a formula called the "fundamental frequency equation" to calculate the possible frequencies.

2. Can I use a tuning fork to tune my musical instruments?

Yes, tuning forks are commonly used to tune musical instruments. The frequency of the tuning fork can be compared to the desired frequency of the instrument, and adjustments can be made accordingly.

3. How does temperature affect the frequency of a tuning fork?

Temperature can have a significant impact on the frequency of a tuning fork. As the temperature increases, the material of the fork expands, causing the frequency to decrease. Similarly, a decrease in temperature will cause the frequency to increase.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating the possible frequencies of a tuning fork?

The accuracy of calculating the possible frequencies of a tuning fork can be affected by factors such as the precision of the measurements taken, the material of the fork, and any external vibrations or disturbances that may interfere with the fork's vibrations.

5. Are there any other methods for finding the possible frequencies of a tuning fork?

Yes, there are other methods for finding the possible frequencies of a tuning fork, such as using a frequency analyzer or a smartphone app designed for measuring frequencies. However, the fundamental frequency equation is the most commonly used method and is considered to be the most accurate.