Finding the position of a person walking across a uniform bar on a fulcrum where it first tips

JohnnyLaws
Homework Statement
We have a 4-meter-long uniform bar weighing 100 kg, and a person weighing 75 kg is walking across it. The statement specifies a stationary point C situated 2.5 meters away from the origin where the bar can rotate. The question is: 'What distance can this person move away while keeping the bar in equilibrium?'
Relevant Equations
I believe that I should set all torques equal to 0 and forces too but I don't know How to draw this specific Free body Diagram. On the other hand I don't know why I need point C.
So here is my equations:
Ra = reaction in A
Rx = reaction in person
Wb = bar's weight
Wp = Person's weight

Forces:
Ra+Rx+Wb+Wp = 0
Ra+Rx-100-75 = 0

Torques:

0*Ra+x*Rx-2*100-x*75 = 0
I think that explained all in "Relevant equations".
Here is the image of this exercise:
a.JPG

This is my Free Body Diagram:
b.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have not accounted for all the forces. Doesn't the fulcrum exert a force at point C?
Also, you need an additional equation. What is so special about the point of tipping? In other words what condition must hold for the bar to tip?

Likes MatinSAR, JohnnyLaws and Lnewqban
JohnnyLaws said:
... but I don't know How to draw this specific Free body Diagram.
Simply represent all the known and unknown possible forces acting on the bar.
For example,
Rx = reaction in person
is a real force, but it is not acting on the bar; therefore, it is not interesting regarding resolving the balance of the beam.

Please, see:
https://courses.lumenlearning.com/suny-osuniversityphysics/chapter/5-7-drawing-free-body-diagrams/

Balance bar.png

JohnnyLaws said:
On the other hand I don't know why I need point C.
Please note that:

*The support A only restrains the bar end from moving downwards, but it lets the end go upwards.

*The support C is a pivot, which retrains any movement of the point C, except rotation on the plane of the paper.

*The problem is asking you about the maximum distance that the man can move his weight to the right without inducing the above rorartion.

Likes MatinSAR and JohnnyLaws

Related to Finding the position of a person walking across a uniform bar on a fulcrum where it first tips

1. How does the fulcrum affect the position of the person on the bar?

The fulcrum acts as a pivot point for the bar, and the position of the person on the bar will determine the balance and stability of the system.

2. What factors influence the tipping point of the bar?

The tipping point of the bar is influenced by the weight of the person, the length and weight distribution of the bar, and the position of the fulcrum.

3. How do you calculate the position of the person on the bar?

The position of the person on the bar can be calculated using the principle of moments, where the sum of the clockwise moments is equal to the sum of the anticlockwise moments.

4. What is the significance of a uniform bar in this scenario?

A uniform bar means that the weight is evenly distributed along its length, which allows for more accurate calculations and predictions of the tipping point.

5. How can this concept be applied in real-life situations?

This concept can be applied in various fields such as engineering, physics, and biomechanics to understand the balance and stability of objects and systems. It can also be used in designing structures, machines, and tools that require precise weight distribution and balance.