Finding the point on a parabola closest to the origin

In summary: It is better to just use the given constraints to simplify the objective function as much as possible. In summary, the book answer for the curve coordinates of the point nearest to P in the curve 2y2 = 5(x+1) with P(0,0) is (-1,0). To find this, the formula was used to minimize the square of the distance between the point and the curve.
leprofece
Find the curve coordinates of the point nearest to P in the curve
2y2 = 5(x+1) P(0,0)
Book answer (-1,0)

ok (x-0)2+ (y-0)2 = D
D = (x)2+ (y)2
and (y)2 = -x2

Now -x2 = 5/2(x+1)

But derivating I don't get the answer or ansa

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: max and min 317

isn't the formula like

\(\displaystyle \sqrt{(x -0)^2 + (y- 0)^2} = D\) ?

I think you forgot the square root . I'm not sure though but I think that cancels your squares in the end

leprofece, Please use thread titles that describe the problem.

You can in fact minimize the square of the distance for simplification of the computation:

\(\displaystyle f(x,y)=x^2+y^2\)

constrained by:

\(\displaystyle x=\frac{2}{5}y^2-1\)

So, substituting for $x$ into the objective function, we find:

\(\displaystyle f(y)=\left(\frac{2}{5}y^2-1 \right)^2+y^2\)

Now, differentiate with respect to $y$ and equate the result to zero to find the critical value.

MarkFL said:
leprofece, Please use thread titles that describe the problem.

You can in fact minimize the square of the distance for simplification of the computation:

\(\displaystyle f(x,y)=x^2+y^2\)

constrained by:

\(\displaystyle x=\frac{2}{5}y^2-1\)

So, substituting for $x$ into the objective function, we find:

\(\displaystyle f(y)=\left(\frac{2}{5}y^2-1 \right)^2+y^2\)

Now, differentiate with respect to $y$ and equate the result to zero to find the critical value.

One Thing
Can I solve for y and constrain with x instead of y how you did?

leprofece said:
One Thing
Can I solve for y and constrain with x instead of y how you did?

Yes, but then you run into a "problem." Try it and see...:D

It is still workable, but becomes a boundary problem like the circle problem you recently posted.

Related to Finding the point on a parabola closest to the origin

1. How do you find the point on a parabola closest to the origin?

The point on a parabola closest to the origin is also known as the vertex of the parabola. To find this point, you can use the formula (-b/2a, c-b^2/4a), where a, b, and c are the coefficients of the quadratic equation in standard form.

2. Can you explain the significance of finding the point on a parabola closest to the origin?

Finding the point on a parabola closest to the origin is important in many real-world applications, such as finding the minimum or maximum value of a function. It can also help in solving optimization problems and finding the shortest distance between a point and a parabola.

3. Is there a graphical method for finding the point on a parabola closest to the origin?

Yes, there is a graphical method for finding the point on a parabola closest to the origin. You can plot the parabola on a coordinate plane and then draw a line from the origin to the vertex of the parabola. The point where the line intersects the parabola is the point closest to the origin.

4. How does the direction of the parabola affect the point on a parabola closest to the origin?

The direction of the parabola does not affect the point on a parabola closest to the origin. The vertex of a parabola is always equidistant from the directrix and focus, regardless of the direction of the parabola.

5. Can the point on a parabola closest to the origin be negative?

Yes, the point on a parabola closest to the origin can be negative. This point is determined by the coefficients of the quadratic equation, and it can be either positive or negative depending on the values of a, b, and c.