Finding the Optimal Mirror for Your Dressing Room

• Thread starter saritche
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mirror
In summary, the conversation discusses the specifications for a plane mirror to be hung in a dressing room. The desired mirror height must be tall enough to view the entire body from a distance of 2.7m. The bottom of the mirror should be mounted at a height of 1.09m and the minimum required mirror height is 1.15m. If the viewing distance is doubled to 6m, the minimum required mirror height remains the same. When using a camera at mid-height, the top of the mirror should be placed at a height of 1.15m to include the top of the head in the image. No part of the lower body will be cut off in the image. If the person moves towards the
saritche

Homework Statement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are preparing to go shopping for a plane mirror that will be hung on the wall of your dressing room. Your overall height is H = 2.3 m, and the vertical distance from the floor to the mid-line of your eyes is H1 = 2.18 m. You want the mirror to be tall enough to allow you to view your entire body from the tip of your head to the soles of your feet, while standing a horizontal distance D = 2.7 m from the mirror. Being frugal, you want to purchase the smallest possible mirror.

(a) What height d above the floor should the bottom of the mirror be mounted?

d = 1.09m
(b) What is the minimum required mirror height (vertical dimension)?

hmin = 1.15m
(c) If instead, you want to be able to view your entire body in the mirror while standing at twice the distance away, D' = 6 m, what is the minimum required mirror height in this case?

h'min = 1.15m
(d) Return now to the mirror height and viewing distance of part (b). Suppose you wish to take a picture of yourself in the mirror using a camera that you hold exactly at mid-height (lens at a distance H/2 above the floor). What height s above the floor should you place the top of the mirror so that the top of your head is just included in the image? (Assume the camera field-of-view is wide enough to image the entire mirror.)

s = ? m

(e) In the configuration of part (d), what amount ΔH of your lower body (feet and legs) will be cut off in the photographic image?

ΔH = 0m
(f) If you move toward the mirror at 3.6 m/s, how fast will your image be moving toward you?

|v| = 7.2 m/s

Homework Equations

mirror = 1/2 h to see full height of man

The Attempt at a Solution

I cannot seem to get a right answer for part d no matter what I do.
Camera is at 1.15m off the ground and has to be at least 1.15m tall

Physics news on Phys.org
saritche said:
I cannot seem to get a right answer for part d no matter what I do.
Camera is at 1.15m off the ground and has to be at least 1.15m tall
We can't just give you an answer, you have to show some effort. First thing to do is draw a diagram, show your calculations based on it, and then perhaps we can see where you are stuck.

Related to Finding the Optimal Mirror for Your Dressing Room

1. How do I determine the optimal size for a mirror in my dressing room?

The optimal size for a mirror in a dressing room depends on several factors such as the size of the room, the height of the person using it, and the purpose of the mirror. Generally, a full-length mirror that allows you to see your entire body is recommended for dressing rooms.

2. What type of lighting is best for a dressing room mirror?

The best type of lighting for a dressing room mirror is natural light. If natural light is not available, LED lights are a great alternative as they provide bright and even lighting without casting shadows. Avoid using fluorescent lighting as it can distort colors.

3. How do I choose the right shape for a dressing room mirror?

The shape of the mirror depends on personal preference and the style of the dressing room. Rectangular mirrors are popular as they provide a full-length view, while round or oval mirrors can add a unique touch to the room. Consider the overall aesthetic of the room when choosing the shape of the mirror.

4. Should I opt for a framed or frameless mirror for my dressing room?

This again depends on personal preference and the style of the dressing room. Framed mirrors can add a decorative element and complement the décor of the room. On the other hand, frameless mirrors provide a sleek and modern look. Consider the overall design of the dressing room when choosing between a framed or frameless mirror.

5. What is the best placement for a dressing room mirror?

The best placement for a dressing room mirror is on a wall that is well-lit and in a location that allows you to easily view your entire body. Avoid placing the mirror directly opposite a window or in a spot that reflects clutter or a messy area of the room.