Finding the Number of Terms and Common Difference in a Finite Series

In summary, this question is driving me nuts! My book and notes do not help at all. I need to find the d in the equation for the sum of the multiple d terms, but I don't know how. Once I find the d, I can solve for n.
jade35
I'm in Algebra 2, 8th grade. This question is driving me nuts! My book and notes do not help at all.

The sum of a series is 2125. The first term is 43 and the last term is 127. How many terms are there, and what is the common difference?

I have no idea how to find the terms, because all of the equations I know have d in there.. and I don't know if I'm supposed to find the D first, or whatever.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the basic property of an arithmetic series? A constand delta between each term, right? That's probably the d you are referring to.

So this series is (43 + 0) + (43 + d) + (43 + 2d) + ... + 127 = 2125.

How many 43's does it take to make 2125? Then the number of terms is less than that number. Given the number of terms n, how many 43's are there, and how many d's. Does that help guide you to the answer?

A little bit. So I just keep going (43 + 3d) and so on and so on? How will I finally find what d equals?

Write the equation for the sum in terms of d and n. Then your solutions for n have to be a whole number, although I suppose d does not have to be whole. If you get multiple solutions for non-whole d and whole n, I'd pick the answer with a whole number for both if it exists.

The a(n)= a1 + (n-1)d equation?

No no no. Like this:

n=3: (43+0) + (43+d) + (43+2d) = 129 + 2d = 2125
n=4: (43+0) + (43+d) + (43+2d) + (43+3d) = 172 + 6d = 2125
n=...

general n: <<write the equation>>

Then solve for several n and d to see what looks reasonable...

Gotta go. Good luck!

thank you! I'm a wee bit closer now.

Last edited:
jade35 said:
thank you! I'm a wee bit closer now.
You're welcome. I'm just checking in from home now briefly. BTW, you will have a formula for the finite series of the sum of the multiple d terms in terms of n. That will factor into the final equations.

Related to Finding the Number of Terms and Common Difference in a Finite Series

1. What is an arithmetic series?

An arithmetic series is a sequence of numbers with a constant difference between each consecutive term. This means that each term is obtained by adding the same number to the previous term. For example, in the series 2, 5, 8, 11, 14, the difference between each term is 3.

2. How is the sum of an arithmetic series calculated?

The sum of an arithmetic series can be calculated using the formula Sn = (n/2)(a1 + an), where Sn is the sum of the first n terms, a1 is the first term, and an is the nth term. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using Sn = (n/2)(2a1 + (n-1)d), where d is the common difference.

3. What is the difference between an arithmetic series and an arithmetic progression?

An arithmetic series is the sum of an arithmetic progression, which is a sequence of numbers with a constant difference between each consecutive term. An arithmetic progression only refers to the terms in the sequence, while an arithmetic series refers to the sum of those terms.

4. How can the sum of an infinite arithmetic series be calculated?

The sum of an infinite arithmetic series can be calculated using the formula Sinf = a1/(1-r), where a1 is the first term and r is the common ratio. However, this formula only works if the absolute value of r is less than 1. Otherwise, the series will not converge and does not have a finite sum.

5. What is the significance of the sum of an arithmetic series?

The sum of an arithmetic series is important in mathematics as it can be used to calculate the total number of objects or units in a repeating pattern. It is also used in financial applications, such as calculating compound interest, and in physics to calculate the total distance traveled in a constant velocity scenario.