Finding the Normal and Intersection Points on a Parametric Circle Curve

To solve the whole problem, you need to find when the curve x = cos(b) and y = sin(b) intersects the line y = x. This is where you get the equation sin(b) = cos(b). This equation is true for all values of b such that b = pi/4 + kpi, where k is an integer. Since the domain is not restricted, you can get infinitely many points of intersection. In summary, the equation of the normal to the parametric curve x = cos(b), y = sin(b) at the point b = pi/4 is y = x. The normal line intersects the curve at the point (1/sqrt(2), 1/sqrt(2))
thereddevils

Homework Statement

Find the equation of normal to curve x=cos b , y=sin b at the point where b=pi/4 . Find the coordinates of the point on the curve where the normal meets the curve again .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Gradient of normal :

dx/db=-sin b

dy/db=cos b

dy/dx=-cot b

gradient of normal = tan b , when b=pi/4 , gradient of normal =1

The normal cuts the curve at point (1/sqrt(2) , 1/sqrt(2))

equation of normal is y-1/sqrt(2)=1(x-1/sqrt(2))

y=x --- 1

The cartesian equation of the curve is cos^(-1) x=sin^(-1) y

sin y=cos x --- 2

combine 1 and 2 , sin x=cos x

tan x=0

x=0 , pi , 2pi

Since the domain is not mentioned , i take it as 0<=x<=2pi

Therefore , the normal would cut the curve at points (0,pi/2) , (pi,3pi/2), (2pi, 5pi/2)

Am i correct ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am confused by eq. 1 and 2. You converted (1) from cartesian to "wonky" cartesian. You have the equation of the normal line as y=x, which is correct, but that second equation seems to come out of nowhere.

What does the original function actually represent? If you graph the curve, and y=x (the normal line) the answers become more clear.

As a side note, limiting the domain might be a bad idea ;-)

m.w.lever said:
I am confused by eq. 1 and 2. You converted (1) from cartesian to "wonky" cartesian. You have the equation of the normal line as y=x, which is correct, but that second equation seems to come out of nowhere.

What does the original function actually represent? If you graph the curve, and y=x (the normal line) the answers become more clear.

As a side note, limiting the domain might be a bad idea ;-)

ok , so how do i get the equation of the curve given its parametric equation ? I tried to eliminate the parameters and got that second equation .

Well, the curve given is a circle with radius 1.
This can be verified: The equation of a circle is
x2+y2=r2
since you were given:
x=cos(b)
y=sin(b)
x2+y2=r2 goes to:
cos2(b)+sin2(b)=r2
1=r2
1=r

If you draw the circle and the line y=x, which according to the problem is:
sin(b)=cos(b)
sin(b)/cos(b)=1
tan(b)=1

As for the intersections:
tan(b)=1=x2+y2 I think you had zero here by mistake.
If you check your unit circle, this occurs at Pi/4 +kPi, where k is an integer. (This works for all real domains, not just zero to 2Pi)

So you were on the right path from the get go, but the extra transform threw things off.

m.w.lever said:
Well, the curve given is a circle with radius 1.
This can be verified: The equation of a circle is
x2+y2=r2
since you were given:
x=cos(b)
y=sin(b)
x2+y2=r2 goes to:
cos2(b)+sin2(b)=r2
1=r2
1=r

If you draw the circle and the line y=x, which according to the problem is:
sin(b)=cos(b)
sin(b)/cos(b)=1
tan(b)=1

As for the intersections:
tan(b)=1=x2+y2 I think you had zero here by mistake.
If you check your unit circle, this occurs at Pi/4 +kPi, where k is an integer. (This works for all real domains, not just zero to 2Pi)

So you were on the right path from the get go, but the extra transform threw things off.

thanks a tons , m.w.Clever

You're welcome, but no C in lever :) It can be tricky to visualize a lot of parametric problems, but in some cases (like this one) it really helps!

thereddevils,
You really should post calculus problems in the Calculus & Beyond section, not the Precalculus section

sorry to trouble you with a few more questions ,

(1) b= pi/4+kpi , is this the coordinate ? Or rather the coordinate is x=cos pi/4+kpi and
y= sin pi/4+kpi ?

because from y=x , x^2+y^2=1 , i could have solved for x and y but that's for b=pi/4 only right ?

Mark , sorry for posting on the wrong subforum coz i thought this is just a high school question .

Doesn't matter if it's high school or college or whatever. Calculus questions should go to the Calculus & Beyond section.

The line y = x comes about because the problem asks for the normal on the parametric curve at b = pi/4. This point corresponds to the point (sqrt(2)/2, sqrt(2)/2) on the circle. Because the curve is a circle, the normal to the curve intersects the circle at a point directly across the circle, at (-sqrt(2)/2, -sqrt(2)/2). The x and y values in these points are the coordinates.

Related to Finding the Normal and Intersection Points on a Parametric Circle Curve

1. What is parametric differentiation?

Parametric differentiation is a method used in calculus to find the derivative of a function that is defined by two or more equations, rather than a single equation. The equations are usually in terms of a third variable, called the parameter.

2. How is parametric differentiation different from regular differentiation?

Parametric differentiation differs from regular differentiation in that it involves differentiating each equation separately with respect to the parameter, and then using the chain rule to combine the derivatives.

3. What are the advantages of using parametric differentiation?

Parametric differentiation allows for the differentiation of complex equations involving multiple variables. It also allows for the calculation of derivatives at specific points along the curve, rather than just at the overall function.

4. What are some practical applications of parametric differentiation?

Parametric differentiation is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other sciences to model and analyze motion and forces in systems with multiple variables. It is also used in economics and finance to model relationships between variables.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using parametric differentiation?

One common mistake when using parametric differentiation is forgetting to apply the chain rule when combining the derivatives of the individual equations. It is also important to keep track of the variable being differentiated with respect to and to properly substitute in the values of the parameter and other variables when calculating the derivative.