Finding the needed power without expanding

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Maclaurin Series of ##\sin(\ln |1+x|)## up to the fourth power. The method involves expanding the series for ##\sin x## and ##\ln |1+x|##, substituting and using a partition method to determine the coefficient for the desired term. This method eliminates the need for guesswork and allows for a quicker calculation of the Maclaurin series."
Seydlitz
Say I need to find Maclaurin Series of ##\sin(\ln |1+x|)## until I reach the forth power.

The expansion for ##\sin x## is just ##(x-\frac{x^3}{3!}+...)##

For ##\ln |1+x|## it will be ##(x-\frac{x^2}{2}+\frac{x^3}{3}-\frac{x^4}{4}+...)##

Then with substitution
$$(x-\frac{x^2}{2}+\frac{x^3}{3}-\frac{x^4}{4})-\frac{1}{6}(x-\frac{x^2}{2}+\frac{x^3}{3}-\frac{x^4}{4})^3$$

From the last term with the power of 3, I can immediately see that there's ##-\frac{x^3}{6}## and I take that into account to get.

$$x-\frac{x^2}{2}+\frac{x^3}{6}-\frac{x^4}{4}+...$$

But actually there's ##\frac{x^4}{4}## hidden in the last term group which can only be found after expansion.

My question is, is there anyway to know that there's a term with a specific power without expanding them so that I can get the needed Maclaurin series quickly?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Seydlitz said:
My question is, is there anyway to know that there's a term with a specific power without expanding them so that I can get the needed Maclaurin series quickly?

Yes, this is a partition question. The partitions of 4 are 4, 3+1, 2+1+1, 1+1+1+1. We want three terms so that means the expression we want is
##(-\frac{x^2}{2})(x)(x)##
times the multinomial coefficient (3 choose 2,1 which is ##\frac{3!}{2!1!} = 3##) times the original ##-\frac{1}{6}## out the front, giving us ##\frac{x^4}{4}##

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
pwsnafu said:
Yes, this is a partition question. The partitions of 4 are 4, 3+1, 2+1+1, 1+1+1+1. We want three terms so that means the expression we want is
##(-\frac{x^2}{2})(x)(x)##
times the multinomial coefficient (3 choose 2,1 which is ##\frac{3!}{2!1!} = 3##) times the original ##-\frac{1}{6}## out the front, giving us ##\frac{x^4}{4}##

Thanks pwsnafu! That is such a nice method, no more guesswork for me! :D

Related to Finding the needed power without expanding

What does "finding the needed power" mean?

Finding the needed power means finding a way to achieve a desired outcome or result without having to increase the amount of resources or effort being put in. It involves finding more efficient or creative solutions to a problem.

Why is it important to find the needed power without expanding?

Finding the needed power without expanding is important because it allows for more sustainable and practical solutions. It can save time, money, and resources while still achieving the desired outcome. Additionally, continuously expanding resources can have negative impacts on the environment and may not always be feasible.

What are some strategies for finding the needed power without expanding?

Some strategies for finding the needed power without expanding include optimizing current processes, using technology or automation, collaborating with others, and finding alternative resources. It also involves thinking creatively and critically to come up with innovative solutions.

How can finding the needed power benefit a scientific study or project?

Finding the needed power can benefit a scientific study or project by allowing for more efficient and effective research. It can also lead to more sustainable and ethical practices. Furthermore, it can help to conserve resources and reduce costs, allowing for more resources to be allocated towards other aspects of the study or project.

What are some challenges that may arise when trying to find the needed power without expanding?

Some challenges that may arise when trying to find the needed power without expanding include resistance to change, limited resources or technology, and time constraints. It may also require a lot of experimentation and trial and error before finding the most suitable solution.