Unsure About Island Temperatures? Unlock the Answers Here!

• Thread starter DevilDoc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confused
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the moderate temperatures of islands and the water's specific heat. It is determined that the oceans' high specific heat allows them to absorb and retain energy from the sun, resulting in slower cooling. The conversation also includes a math problem involving the change of temperature of water and the speed of waves on the water's surface.
DevilDoc
Just confused :confused: with the questions. I can't find the answer anywere.

The moderate temperatures of islands through out the world has much to do with water's? I'm thinking high specific heat or reflection of solar radiation but not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
Specific heat is the answer, the oceans absorb the energy from the sun and do not cool down very quickly.

Additional help.

I'm not really good in math. Please help, not sure If got the right answer.

1 ) 2000 grams of water absorbs 5000 J of heat. If the specific heat of water is 1 cal/g C. What is the change of temperature of the water?
My answer is: 0.595 C.

2) When a tiger drinks water, it ames portion of water oscillating up and down four complete cycles per second. As the water wave spreds, the wavelength is 5 CM. What is the wave's speed?
My answer is: 1.25 m/s.

I agree with the temperature change--actually, I got 0.597 degrees using 4.186 Joules = 1 calorie.

For the speed, are you using wavelength*frequency = speed ? Notice that the wavelength is in centimeters; I got 0.2 m/s.

Another question: do circular wavefronts on the water's surface maintain equal spacing as they spread out? The tiger's tongue is oscillating at a constant rate--so a bob placed any distance from the center would bob up and down at a constant (temporal) rate--but do the ripple peaks get closer together or further apart as you go out? I'm just wondering if it's really fair to talk about the 'wavelength' for such a mode of propagation.

P

What does "Need help Little Confused" mean?

"Need help Little Confused" is a phrase that typically indicates that the person saying it is feeling uncertain or confused about a particular situation or topic and is seeking assistance or clarification.

Why would someone say "Need help Little Confused"?

People may say "Need help Little Confused" when they are struggling to understand something, need help making a decision, or are feeling overwhelmed and need guidance.

How can I help someone who says "Need help Little Confused"?

If someone says "Need help Little Confused" to you, the best way to help is to listen to their concerns and offer support. You can also ask clarifying questions, provide resources or advice, or simply be there to offer emotional support.

Is "Need help Little Confused" a common phrase?

Yes, "Need help Little Confused" is a common phrase used to express confusion or uncertainty. It is often used in informal or casual conversations, but can also be used in more serious situations.

Can "Need help Little Confused" be a sign of a larger issue?

In some cases, saying "Need help Little Confused" may be a sign of a larger issue such as anxiety, depression, or a learning disability. If you or someone you know frequently says this phrase, it may be beneficial to seek professional help to address any underlying issues.