Finding the Minor and major axis lenths of an ellipse from conjugate diameters

In summary, Vinni is having trouble finding the minor and major axises of an ellipse from three points. The ellipse's center and two conjugate diameter end points are used. The solution described in the image doesn't always work. a and b are found using the sum of the squares of conjugate semi-diameters rule. alpha is calculated using the atan2 function.
Vinni
Hello,

I'm having a problem finding the minor and major axsis lengths of an ellipse from three points, the ellipse's center, and two conjugate end point diameters. I have no problem solving the problem when the conjugate diameters align with the minor and major axsis, but when they don't the problem seems to evade me.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Vinni

Physics news on Phys.org
The image below is the supposed solution for solving the minor and major axis of an ellipse from two conjugate diameter end points. Note that λ is not defined, which makes the solution for b impossible. I used the sum of the squares of conjugate semi-diameters rule where it is constant and therefore equal to the sum of the squares of a and b. Subtracting a squared gives me b squared. However the solution described in the image doesn't work in every case. a ends up being too small in some cases, can anybody see why that is?

Solution.png

Below is my code listing in c# of the solution described at the link.

//Adjusts the points to the origin for simplicity
double x1 = conjugateDiameter1.X - Center.X;
double y1 = conjugateDiameter1.Y - Center.Y;
double x2 = conjugateDiameter2.X - Center.X;
double y2 = conjugateDiameter2.Y - Center.Y;
///

double xc = (x2 + y1) / 2;

double yc = (y2 - x1) / 2;

double Waw = Math.Atan2(yc - y2, x2 - xc);

double phi = Math.Atan2(yc, xc);

double d = xc / Math.Cos(phi);

double yu = yc + d * Math.Sin(Waw);

double xv = xc + d * Math.Cos(Waw);

double yv = yc - d * Math.Sin(Waw);

double alpha = Math.Atan2(-yv,xv);

a = (yu - y2) / Math.Sin(Waw);

double SemiDiag1 = GraphicTools.GetRadius(Center, Diameter1);
double SemiDiag2 = GraphicTools.GetRadius(Center, Diameter2);

b = Math.Sqrt((Math.Pow(SemiDiag1, 2) + Math.Pow(SemiDiag2, 2)) - Math.Pow(a, 2));

Last edited:
Found the problem the sin function has exceptions at 0, 3.14, and 6.28 radians. While the cos function has exceptions at 1.57 and 4.71 radians. When the ellipse is oriented at those angles then the a and b axis are the conjugate semi-diameters. Also the computation for alpha shouldn't have a negative sign in the numerator.

Related to Finding the Minor and major axis lenths of an ellipse from conjugate diameters

What is an ellipse?

An ellipse is a geometric shape that resembles a flattened circle. It is defined as the set of all points in a plane whose distances from two fixed points, called foci, add up to a constant value.

What are the major and minor axes of an ellipse?

The major axis of an ellipse is the longest diameter, passing through the center and connecting two opposite points on the ellipse. The minor axis is the shortest diameter, passing through the center and connecting two other opposite points on the ellipse.

How do I find the lengths of the major and minor axes?

The lengths of the major and minor axes can be found by measuring the distance between the foci and the points where the ellipse intersects the major and minor axes. These points are called the vertices. The distance between the foci is equal to the length of the major axis, and the distance between the vertices on the major axis is equal to the length of the minor axis.

Can I find the lengths of the major and minor axes from conjugate diameters?

Yes, the lengths of the major and minor axes can be calculated from conjugate diameters. A conjugate diameter is a diameter that passes through the center and bisects the chords of an ellipse that are parallel to the major or minor axis. The length of the major axis is equal to the product of the length of any conjugate diameter and the square root of 2. The length of the minor axis is equal to the product of the length of any conjugate diameter and the square root of 2 divided by 2.

Why is finding the minor and major axis lengths important?

Knowing the lengths of the major and minor axes of an ellipse is important in various fields, such as engineering, astronomy, and mathematics. It helps to accurately describe and measure the shape of an ellipse, which is a common geometric shape found in nature and man-made structures. Additionally, the lengths of the major and minor axes are used in equations and calculations related to ellipses, making them essential in problem-solving.