Finding the Minimum Velocity for Sustaining Flight Using Dimensional Analysis

In summary, an object in flight experiences lift and drag forces that are dependent on its velocity and the wing and cross-sectional areas. In order to sustain flight, the object must fly at a minimum velocity that scales with its mass to the power of k, a constant. Solving for k, we find that it is equal to 1/2 or the minimum velocity is proportional to the square root of the mass. This approach may seem simplistic, but it makes physical sense.
Beer-monster

Homework Statement

An flying object of mass M experiences a lift force and a drag force dependent on the it's velocity:

[tex] F_{l} \propto Wv^{2} [/tex]
[tex] F_{d} \propto Av^{2} [/tex]

Where W and A are wing surface area and "cross-sectional" area.

To sustain flight the object must fly at a minimum velocity which scales as [itex]M^{k} [/itex] where k is a constant.

What is k?

Homework Equations

For the object to remain in flight it must produce a lift force equal or greater than it's weight i.e.

[tex] Mg = F_{l(min)} \propto Wv^{2} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found an answer but I'm not too happy with how I got there. Basically, I subbed the scaling factor for minimum velocity into the above equation:

[tex] Mg \propto W(M^{k})^{2} \propto WM^{2k} [/tex]

As the left side only has mass to the power 1 and the right has mass to the power 2k we can get:

[tex] 2k=1 [/tex]

So k = 1/2 or [itex]v_{l(min)} \propto \sqrt{M} [/itex].

This results makes some sense to me physically, but I'm not happy with my approach as it seems a bit simplistic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Beer-monster said:

Homework Statement

An flying object of mass M experiences a lift force and a drag force dependent on the it's velocity:

[tex] F_{l} \propto Wv^{2} [/tex]
[tex] F_{d} \propto Av^{2} [/tex]

Where W and A are wing surface area and "cross-sectional" area.

To sustain flight the object must fly at a minimum velocity which scales as [itex]M^{k} [/itex] where k is a constant.

What is k?

Homework Equations

For the object to remain in flight it must produce a lift force equal or greater than it's weight i.e.

[tex] Mg = F_{l(min)} \propto Wv^{2} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found an answer but I'm not too happy with how I got there. Basically, I subbed the scaling factor for minimum velocity into the above equation:

[tex] Mg \propto W(M^{k})^{2} \propto WM^{2k} [/tex]

As the left side only has mass to the power 1 and the right has mass to the power 2k we can get:

[tex] 2k=1 [/tex]

So k = 1/2 or [itex]v_{l(min)} \propto \sqrt{M} [/itex].

This results makes some sense to me physically, but I'm not happy with my approach as it seems a bit simplistic.

Seems fine to me. If you increase the mass by a factor of ##2## you need to increase the velocity by a factor of ##\sqrt{2}##, all else being fixed. What seems simplistic about it to you?

Maybe you are supposed to assume that the object is to be scaled linearly at constant density. Thus W and A will also change.

Related to Finding the Minimum Velocity for Sustaining Flight Using Dimensional Analysis

1. What is dimensional analysis check?

Dimensional analysis check is a method used in science to verify the correctness of equations and calculations by checking the dimensions of the units involved. It ensures that the units on both sides of the equation are equal and helps to identify any potential errors in the calculations.

2. Why is dimensional analysis check important?

Dimensional analysis check is important because it helps to ensure accuracy in scientific calculations. By checking the units involved, it can help to identify any errors or inconsistencies in the equations, which can lead to incorrect results. It also helps to ensure that the correct units are used in the final answer.

3. How is dimensional analysis check performed?

Dimensional analysis check is performed by breaking down the units involved in the equation or calculation and comparing them. This involves converting all units to their base units and checking that they are the same on both sides of the equation. If the units are not equal, it indicates that there may be an error in the calculation.

4. Can dimensional analysis check be used in all scientific fields?

Yes, dimensional analysis check can be used in all scientific fields as it is a fundamental method for verifying the accuracy of equations and calculations. It is commonly used in physics, chemistry, and engineering, but can also be applied to other fields such as biology and economics.

5. What are the benefits of using dimensional analysis check?

There are several benefits of using dimensional analysis check, including:

• It helps to catch errors in calculations, ensuring accuracy in results.
  • It ensures that the correct units are used in the final answer.
  • It is a simple and efficient method for verifying equations and calculations.
  • It can be used in all scientific fields.
  • It helps to develop a better understanding of the relationships between different units and quantities.