Finding the Minimum Force to Move Two Bars Connected by a Spring

• Thread starter Saitama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spring
In summary, the force necessary to move the second bar is equal to the sum of the spring force and the friction force.
Saitama

Homework Statement

Two bars of masses ##m_1## and ##m_2## connected by a non-deformed light spring rest on a horizontal plane. The coefficient of friction between the bars and the surface is equal to ##k##. What minimum constant force has to be applied in the horizontal direction to the bar of mass ##m_1## in order to shift the other bar.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The second bar, ##m_2## starts to move when the force due to spring overcomes the force due to friction on ##m_2## i.e ##F_{spring}=km_2g##. When ##m_2## starts moving, ##m_1## is still moving. Applying Newton's second law on ##m_1##, ##F-km_1g-F_{spring}=m_1a## where F is the minimum constant force asked in the question. I can substitute ##F_{spring}## but that gives me an equation with two variable. How am I supposed to find F from that? :confused:

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Pranav-Arora said:
The second bar, ##m_2## starts to move when the force due to spring overcomes the force due to friction on ##m_2## i.e ##F_{spring}=km_2g##.
Good.

When ##m_2## starts moving, ##m_1## is still moving.
Maybe.

Applying Newton's second law on ##m_1##, ##F-km_1g-F_{spring}=m_1a## where F is the minimum constant force asked in the question. I can substitute ##F_{spring}## but that gives me an equation with two variable. How am I supposed to find F from that? :confused:
Force analysis will only get you so far. (The spring force and acceleration of ##m_1## are not constant.)

Hint: Consider the work done by that constant force.

Likes 1 person
Doc Al said:
Maybe.
Why maybe? :confused:

Hint: Consider the work done by that constant force.
From energy conservation,
[tex]Fx=\frac{1}{2}cx^2+\frac{1}{2}m_1v^2+km_1gx[/tex]
where ##x## is the displacement of ##m_1## and ##c## is the spring constant.

I don't know v but if I put v=0, I do get the right answer but why is v=0? :confused:

Pranav-Arora said:
I don't know v but if I put v=0, I do get the right answer but why is v=0? :confused:
Because you want the minimum force F that will just move ##m_2##.

Doc Al said:
Because you want the minimum force F that will just move ##m_2##.

Thanks Doc Al! :smile:

Related to Finding the Minimum Force to Move Two Bars Connected by a Spring

1. What is "Two bars and a spring"?

"Two bars and a spring" is a simple mechanical system that consists of two parallel bars connected by a spring in between them.

2. How does "Two bars and a spring" work?

The two bars in this system act as rigid supports, while the spring acts as a flexible element that connects them. When an external force is applied to one of the bars, it causes a displacement in the spring, which then transfers the force to the other bar. This allows for the system to move and store potential energy.

3. What are the applications of "Two bars and a spring"?

The "Two bars and a spring" system has a wide range of applications, including shock absorbers, suspension systems, and oscillators in mechanical devices.

4. How is the behavior of "Two bars and a spring" described mathematically?

The behavior of this system can be described using Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to its displacement from its equilibrium position. This can be represented by the equation F = -kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement.

5. What factors affect the behavior of "Two bars and a spring"?

The behavior of this system is influenced by several factors, including the stiffness of the spring, the distance between the two bars, and the mass of the bars. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and friction can also affect its behavior.