Finding the maximum of a product

In summary, the maximum value of ##ABCD## is ##2/3##, and this occurs when ##A=2B=3C=4D##, which can be found using a Lagrange multiplier method.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

If ##A,B,C,D## are positive numbers such that ##A+2B+3C+4D = 8##, then what is the maximum value of ##ABCD##?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

From AM-GM, I know that the maximum is ##2/3##. However, I want to know exactly what A,B,C, and D must be to take on this maximum. From AM-GM, I know that it must be the case that A=2B=3C=4D for equality to occur, but I'm not sure how I can use this explicitly, as a four-way equality is unwieldy.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the problem? If you have ##A=2B=3C=4D## then ##8=A+2B+3C+4D=4A=(4\cdot 2)B=(4\cdot 3)C=(4\cdot 4)D##.

Likes Mr Davis 97
Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

If ##A,B,C,D## are positive numbers such that ##A+2B+3C+4D = 8##, then what is the maximum value of ##ABCD##?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

From AM-GM, I know that the maximum is ##2/3##. However, I want to know exactly what A,B,C, and D must be to take on this maximum. From AM-GM, I know that it must be the case that A=2B=3C=4D for equality to occur, but I'm not sure how I can use this explicitly, as a four-way equality is unwieldy.

This is a standard constrained multivariate optimization problem, and can be solved using a Lagrange multiplier method, for example.

Related to Finding the maximum of a product

What is meant by "finding the maximum of a product"?

Finding the maximum of a product refers to determining the highest possible value obtained by multiplying two or more numbers together. It is a mathematical concept used in various fields such as economics, engineering, and statistics.

Why is finding the maximum of a product important?

Finding the maximum of a product is important because it allows us to identify the most efficient or profitable option from a set of choices. It also helps in optimizing processes by determining the optimal combination of factors that yield the highest result.

What are the methods used for finding the maximum of a product?

The most common methods for finding the maximum of a product include graphical analysis, algebraic equations, and calculus. Other methods such as optimization algorithms and computer simulations can also be used depending on the complexity of the problem.

How do you determine the maximum of a product using graphical analysis?

In graphical analysis, the maximum of a product can be found by plotting the product function on a graph and identifying the point where the curve reaches its highest value. This point is known as the maximum point or the peak of the curve.

Can the maximum of a product be negative?

Yes, the maximum of a product can be negative if the factors being multiplied together are negative. However, in many applications, the maximum of a product is usually a positive value as it represents the highest achievable result.