Finding the maximum height of an arrow shot in the air

In summary: As for your calculations, they look correct except for a small error in the final calculation of the magnitude of acceleration. It should be: a =√(1.5^2 + 1.06^2) = 1.85 m/s. As for the negative sign, it should only be used for the y component as it is pointing downwards, while the x component remains positive as it is pointing to the right.
christinaa_s
QUESTION: An archer shoots an arrow straight up in the air with an initial velocity of 45 m/s , it takes the arrow 4.6 s to reach its maximum height. Calculate this maximum height.

the α, ∆d, and vi should have arrows over them:

MY ANSWER:
displacement = ½ [(α ∙ ∆t + vi) + vi + vi] ∆t
therefore vi ∆t + ½ α t(2)
therefore ∆d = 207 + 103.68
therefore ∆d = 310.68 m

I'm not sure if i used the correct formula or if my answer if right.
Also, how do you draw vector diagrams to scale? :shy:

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that acceleration due to gravity is -g. Other than that all the other umbers seem fine apart from the error leading to the final answer.

(yes i forgot that this gravity should be negative, thanx!

another question i am not sure of!..

QUESTION: A bird takes 8.5 s to fly from position A (va= 4.4 m/s (3 ° S of E) to position B(vb= 7.8 m/s ( 25° N of E) along the path. Find the bird's average acceleration.

MY ANSWER:
vax = 4.4 cos 31
vay = -4.4 sin 31

vbx = -7.8 cos 25
vby = 7.8 sin 25

ax = vbx – vax / t therefore ax = -7.8 cos 25 - 4.4 cos 31 / 8.5 ?
ay = vby – vay / t therefore ay = 7.8 sin 25 + 4.4 sin 31 / 8.6 ?

therefore a = √ ax(2) + ay(2)
a = √ 1.5 + 1.06
a= 1.60 m/s ?

once again i am not sure if my answer is correct, and if vay/ vbx should be negative..

christinaa_s said:
Also, how do you draw vector diagrams to scale? :shy:

Imagine 2 forces..one has a magnitude of 4N and acts along the x axis, the other has a magnitude of 3N and acts along the y axis...before you start drawing decide on your units...does 1N = 1cm, 1 inch, 1mm? (Not so ridiculous if the magnitudes of your forces are well into double figures)...once you pick your units draw the horizontal one (the 4N one) once this is drawn just draw the vertical one but as it's 3N make sure that the length of this line is 3/4 the length of the horizontal one (and points vertically)...you should end up with the two smaller sides of a right angled triangle.

Related to Finding the maximum height of an arrow shot in the air

1. What factors affect the maximum height of an arrow shot in the air?

The maximum height of an arrow shot in the air is affected by factors such as the initial velocity of the arrow, the angle at which it is shot, the air resistance, and the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How is the maximum height of an arrow shot in the air calculated?

The maximum height of an arrow shot in the air can be calculated using the equation: h = (v^2 * sin^2(theta)) / (2 * g), where h is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity, theta is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. Is the maximum height of an arrow shot in the air affected by the weight of the arrow?

Yes, the weight of the arrow can affect the maximum height. A heavier arrow will experience more air resistance and therefore may not reach the same maximum height as a lighter arrow with the same initial velocity and angle of launch.

4. Can the maximum height of an arrow shot in the air be greater than the height at which it was shot?

Yes, it is possible for the maximum height of an arrow shot in the air to be greater than the height at which it was shot, depending on the initial velocity and angle of launch. However, this is only possible if there is no air resistance and the arrow is shot straight up at a 90 degree angle.

5. How can knowing the maximum height of an arrow shot in the air be useful?

Knowing the maximum height of an arrow shot in the air can be useful in a variety of scenarios, such as hunting, archery competitions, and understanding the physics of projectile motion. It can also help determine the optimal angle and initial velocity for achieving a desired maximum height.