Finding the Mass of a Pole Vault Athlete

In summary, the problem involves an Olympic athlete with a mass of 30 kg participating in pole vaulting with an initial velocity of 10 m/s. To find the maximum height the athlete can reach, the kinetic energy is converted to gravitational potential energy. However, in a separate scenario where the initial velocity and maximum height are given, the mass cannot be calculated without additional information relating it to the motion.
Bunny-chan

Homework Statement

An olympic athlete with [itex]~30[/itex] kg mass is participating in pole vaulting. The athlete runs and, at the moment of the jump, he has a velocity of [itex]~10[/itex] m/s. Calculate the maximum height he can reach.

To solve these kinds of problems, we can just convert all the kinetic energy the athlete develops during the motion to gravitational potential energy, and find the point which it has zero kinetic energy. But what I'm having trouble with is to calculate the mass of the athlete given initial velocity and the maximum height.

2. Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Evidently, If I try to use the conservation of energy formula for the athlete [tex]\frac{1}{2}mV_0^2 = mgh[/tex]then the masses will just cancel each other and I won't go anywhere. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Doesn't the problem statement supply the mass? What does the problem ask you to find?

gneill said:
Doesn't the problem statement supply the mass? What does the problem ask you to find?
It asks me to find the mass based on the running velocity (10m/s) and the maximum height (5.2m/s). Do you think that maybe it was mistyped?

Bunny-chan said:
It asks me to find the mass based on the running velocity (10m/s) and the maximum height (5.2m/s). Do you think that maybe it was mistyped?
Are you looking at a different problem than the one you posted? Your problem statement says:
Bunny-chan said:
An olympic athlete with 30 kg mass is participating in pole vaulting. The athlete runs and, at the moment of the jump, he has a velocity of 10 m/s. Calculate the maximum height he can reach.

gneill said:
Are you looking at a different problem than the one you posted? Your problem statement says:
Yes, and then I said "But what I'm having trouble with is to calculate the mass of the athlete given initial velocity and the maximum height.". Sorry for the misleading information!

I edited the post.

If I understand what you are saying, it is not the original problem that you are having difficulty with but a different scenario where you are instead given the initial velocity and maximum height and then wish to deduce the mass?

If that is the case then the answer is that you cannot. Since both the kinetic energy and the gravitational potential energy are directly proportional to the mass, then when they are equated the mass cancels as you've noted. The same height would be achieved no matter what the mass is, so long as it had the same initial velocity.

In order to determine the mass you would need some other information relating the mass to the motion.

gneill said:
If I understand what you are saying, it is not the original problem that you are having difficulty with but a different scenario where you are instead given the initial velocity and maximum height and then wish to deduce the mass?

If that is the case then the answer is that you cannot. Since both the kinetic energy and the gravitational potential energy are directly proportional to the mass, then when they are equated the mass cancels as you've noted. The same height would be achieved no matter what the mass is, so long as it had the same initial velocity.

In order to determine the mass you would need some other information relating the mass to the motion.
Thank you very much! That's what I wanted to know.

Related to Finding the Mass of a Pole Vault Athlete

1. What is the average mass of a pole vault athlete?

The average mass of a male pole vault athlete is around 170 pounds, while the average mass of a female pole vault athlete is around 130 pounds.

2. How does the mass of a pole vault athlete affect their performance?

The mass of a pole vault athlete can greatly affect their performance. A heavier athlete may have more power and force behind their movements, but may also struggle with the technical aspects of the sport. A lighter athlete may have an easier time with the technical aspects, but may struggle with generating enough power for a successful vault.

3. Do pole vault athletes have a specific weight requirement?

No, there is no specific weight requirement for pole vault athletes. However, most athletes aim to maintain a healthy body weight for their height and build in order to optimize their performance.

4. Is there a correlation between the mass of a pole vault athlete and their height?

There is no direct correlation between the mass of a pole vault athlete and their height. However, taller athletes may have an advantage in terms of having a longer reach and being able to clear higher heights.

5. How do pole vault athletes maintain their mass and body composition?

Pole vault athletes typically have a strict training regimen that includes strength and conditioning exercises, as well as proper nutrition to maintain their mass and body composition. They also work closely with coaches and trainers to tailor their training and nutrition plans to meet their individual needs.