Finding the Magnitude of Vector Sum from Components

In summary, we use the general equations for finding the components and magnitude of vectors to determine the magnitude of the vector sum of vectors C and D. Using the given values, we find the components of each vector and then use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the resultant vector. Our final answer is 11.6 units. We also attempt to find the direction of the resultant vector using the tangent function, but encounter difficulty with the given answer choices.
Want to learn

Homework Statement

Vector C has a magnitude of 5.0 units and makes an angle of -90.0º with the positive x-axis, vector D has a magnitude of 7.0 units and makes and angle of –120º with the positive x-axis. What is the magnitude of the vector sum of C + D? - I am assuming that this means the resultant.

Homework Equations

General for finding the components:

[tex] A_x = Acos\theta [/tex]

[tex] A_y = Asin\theta [/tex]

Magnitude:

[tex] A = \sqrt {{A_x}^2 + {A_y}^2} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I first start with [tex] \vec C [/tex]

[tex] C_x = 5.0 cos (-90) = 0 [/tex]
[tex] C_y = 5.0 sin (-90) = -5 [/tex]

Move on to [tex] \vec D [/tex]

[tex] D_x = 7.0 cos (-120) = -3.5 [/tex]
[tex] D_y = 7.0 sin (-120) = -6.1 [/tex]

I have all the components now, moving on to finding the A + B - which I am assuming means the resultant.

[tex] R_x = 0 + (-3.5) = -3.5 [/tex]
[tex] R_y = -5 + (-6.1) = -11.1 [/tex]

[tex] R = \sqrt { (-3.5)^2 + (-11.1)^2} = 11.6 [/tex] - This is my answer to the question

Now, I am not sure if my assumption that A+B = Resultant is true. Any ideas on where I am messing up. Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure that you copied this correctly? If you were given C and D I don't see why they would be asking you for A+B.

Saladsamurai said:
Are you sure that you copied this correctly? If you were given C and D I don't see why they would be asking you for A+B.

Sorry m8, had a different problem in my head. I made the change.

Any ideas on what I did wrong?

Want to learn said:
Sorry m8, had a different problem in my head. I made the change.

Any ideas on what I did wrong?

Not sure. It looks good to me :confused:

Why do you think you are wrong? Did you copy the numbers down correctly?

I get the same answer using the numbers you gave.

Ok well if that looks right, then great! Now there is a second part to this question which I did not post and it states the same variables and measurements except you have to find the direction of the vector sum C+D referenced to the positive x-axis.

First I use this equation:

[tex] tan \theta = \frac {A_y} {A_x} [/tex]

So...

so I solve for theta and get:

[tex] \theta = tan^-1 \frac {A_y} {A_x} [/tex]

So...

[tex] \theta = tan^-1 \frac {-11.5} {-3.5} = 73.07... [/tex]

Looks like the vector is in the third quadrant so I add 180 to [tex] \theta [/tex] and get 253.1. The problem is that none of the above answers are part of my answer choices. What did I do wrong?

Ry is 11.1 not 11.5

yah another typo. That still doesn't make a difference, I still have it wrong.

Want to learn said:
yah another typo. That still doesn't make a difference, I still have it wrong.
What are the answer choices?

Related to Finding the Magnitude of Vector Sum from Components

1. What are vector components?

Vector components refer to the individual parts or magnitudes of a vector. A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction.

2. How do you find vector components?

To find the vector components, you can use trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. For example, to find the x-component of a vector, you can use the formula x = Vcosθ, where V is the magnitude of the vector and θ is the angle it makes with the x-axis.

3. What is a vector components problem?

A vector components problem is a physics or math problem that involves breaking down a vector into its individual components and solving for them. These problems often involve finding the x and y components of a vector or determining the magnitude and direction of a vector based on its components.

4. What are some real-world applications of vector components?

Vector components are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation. They are used to calculate forces, velocities, and accelerations in physics problems. In engineering, vector components are used to analyze and design structures. In navigation, vector components are used to determine the direction and speed of objects such as airplanes and ships.

5. What are some tips for solving vector components problems?

Some tips for solving vector components problems include drawing a diagram to visualize the problem, breaking the vector into its components using trigonometric functions, and using algebra to solve for unknowns. It is also important to pay attention to units and use the correct formulas for each component.