Finding the magnitude of force P

In summary, the conversation is about solving a physics problem involving vertical and horizontal forces. The person asking the question realizes they have forgotten to include the normal force and asks for clarification on its value. The expert responds by suggesting to use a variable for the normal force until the equations are solved. The final solution is summarized as P = 57.4 and Fn = 39.54, satisfying both equations. The term "reaction force" is mentioned but it is not clear what it refers to.
Touran Khan

Homework Statement

w6PbUIg.jpg

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

QmFs5wz.jpg

My value for P does not make any sense. Why is this so?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you may have forgotten one of the vertical forces.

TomHart said:
I think you may have forgotten one of the vertical forces.

Yeah, I'm almost certain that's the issue. I think it's the normal force, but what is the value of that force in this case?

Yes, you forgot the normal force when you summed the vertical forces. But I don't know what the value of that force is. You will just have to use a variable, FN, until you solve the equations and find its value.

TomHart said:
Yes, you forgot the normal force when you summed the vertical forces. But I don't know what the value of that force is. You will just have to use a variable, FN, until you solve the equations and find its value.

Oh right, my bad. So for vertical forces my equation ends up being Psin10 - 70cos45 + Fn = 0. From the horizontal forces equation I calculated P to be 57.369...

Then, Fn = 39.535...

To sum it up, P = 57.4 and Fn = 39.54. These values satisfy both equations, though do you have any idea what reaction force they are referring to?

That looks right. I'm not sure but "reaction force", probably means the normal force.

TomHart said:
That looks right. I'm not sure but "reaction force", probably means the normal force.

Alright that's what I was thinking as well, no idea what else it could be. Thanks for the help.

Likes TomHart

Related to Finding the magnitude of force P

1. What is the definition of force P?

Force P is a vector quantity that represents the external influence on an object or system, which causes it to accelerate or deform. It is typically measured in units of Newtons (N) in the metric system or pounds (lbs) in the US customary system.

2. How is the magnitude of force P calculated?

The magnitude of force P is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by its acceleration. It can also be calculated using the formula F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of force P?

The magnitude of force P is affected by the mass of the object, the acceleration of the object, and the direction of the force. It is also affected by external factors such as friction, air resistance, and gravity.

4. How is force P represented graphically?

Force P is typically represented graphically as an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude of the force and the direction of the arrow representing the direction of the force.

5. What is the difference between magnitude and direction of force P?

The magnitude of force P refers to the strength or size of the force, while the direction of force P refers to the line of action or the angle at which the force is applied. Both magnitude and direction are necessary to fully describe a force vector.