Finding the magnetic force in square loop wire.

In summary: Therefore, the current in the loop generates forces that are in the y and z directions, and the forces from the horizontal sides of the loop cancel each other out, leaving only the forces from the vertical sides to contribute to the net force. In summary, the magnetic field in the given region has the form B = kzx(hat) and the force on a square loop carrying a current I, lying in the yz plane and centered at the origin, is determined by the forces generated on the vertical parts of the loop. The horizontal sides of the loop cancel each other out, leaving only the forces from the vertical sides to add. The direction of B is determined by the direction of the current, and in this case, B points in
bfusco

Homework Statement

Suppose that the magnetic eld in some region has the form B = kzx(hat). (where k is a
constant). Find the force on a square loop (side a), lying in the yz plane and centered
at the origin, if it carries a current I, flowing counterclockwise, when you look down
the x axis.

The Attempt at a Solution

Apparently the horizontal sides of the loop are to generate forces that cancel each other out, leaving the forces generated on the vertical parts to add.

Using the Right hand rule, i see no reason why the horizontal parts should cancel and the vertical shouldn't.
Extablishing the +z axis pointing up, and the +y axis pointing right, with the x-axis pointing out of the page.

denoting the bottom (horizontal) part of the loop as 1, the right (vertical) part of the loop as 2, the top (horizontal) part of the loop as 3, and the left (vertical) part of the loop as 4.

In 1) Idl x B = y(hat) x x(hat)=-z(hat)
In 2) Idl x B = z(hat) x x(hat)=y(hat)
In 3) Idl x B = -y(hat) x x(hat)=z(hat)
In 4) Idl x B = -z(hat) x x(hat)=-y(hat)

1 should cancel 3, and 2 should cancel 4

Or is it that B is a function of z, so when the current is going in the +z direction B is in the +x direction, and when the current is going in the -z direction B is in the -x direction? I am not sure

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bfusco said:
Or is it that B is a function of z, so when the current is going in the +z direction B is in the +x direction, and when the current is going in the -z direction B is in the -x direction? I am not sure

I'm not sure exactly what the phrase "looking down the x-axis" means in the statement of the problem, but I think you have the right idea. Since ##\vec{B} = kz\hat{x}##, B points in the positive x direction when z is positive and points in the negative x direction when z is negative.

Related to Finding the magnetic force in square loop wire.

1. How do you find the magnetic force in a square loop wire?

To find the magnetic force in a square loop wire, you will need to use the formula F = ILBsinθ, where I is the current in the wire, L is the length of the wire, B is the magnetic field strength, and θ is the angle between the wire and the magnetic field. This formula is known as the Lorentz force law.

2. What is the direction of the magnetic force in a square loop wire?

The direction of the magnetic force in a square loop wire can be determined using the right-hand rule. If the current is flowing in a clockwise direction, the force will be directed out of the plane of the loop. If the current is flowing counterclockwise, the force will be directed into the plane of the loop.

3. How does the number of turns in the loop affect the magnetic force?

The number of turns in the loop does not directly affect the magnetic force. However, it does affect the magnetic field strength, which in turn affects the force. The more turns in the loop, the stronger the magnetic field will be, resulting in a greater magnetic force.

4. Can the magnetic force in a square loop wire be increased?

Yes, the magnetic force in a square loop wire can be increased by increasing the current, increasing the length of the wire, or increasing the magnetic field strength. Additionally, increasing the number of turns in the loop can also increase the magnetic force.

5. How is the magnetic force in a square loop wire used in practical applications?

The magnetic force in a square loop wire has many practical applications, such as in electric motors and generators. It is also used in devices like speakers, MRI machines, and particle accelerators. Additionally, it is used in the production of electricity through the process of electromagnetic induction.